RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Fire and Rescue and Emergency Vehicles

Fire and Rescue and Emergency Vehicles Here is a spot for all them important emergency vehicle builds.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scania airport fire truck

Thanks, I have hopes that it will turn out ok when done. I decided against trying to backlight the buttons, but I'll do some testing to see if it's possible to do something with UV fluorescent sharpies and a UV LED.

The desk lamp works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhw7GcKJFM
Old 11-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Green Horn

Some extra fine tuning and wired up the side facing work lights for the first time.

Video of the above.
https://youtu.be/27gz7NAnVI0
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Scania airport fire truck

Now that's pretty sweet. I'm following this for sure.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Green Horn

Magnet mount for the water tank section.

Workaround to get the rear crossmember at the right height compared to the body. The frame rails are too high because of reasons I no longer remember. The plan is to also use it as a mount in a transport case if I ever get around to making one.

More side facing work lights. They all worked right after building them, but one broke while the glue fully cured a week later. I should probably get a cheap USB microscope to check these fragile 2835 LEDs for damage after soldering.

I've also been doing some work on the rear storage compartments. The right one now contains a mini-usb that serves as both 5v supply in display mode and programming connection for the Arduino. Two switches selects USB or battery power for the Arduino and USB or BEC power for the low power LEDs.

And hopefully done with the soldering on the main circuit board.

I'm completely rebuilding the RM60C roof monitor / water cannon / turret. This time I'm trying to get as close to scale as possible. Simple hinge mechanism located as close to the center as possible to replicate the way it lowers and rises with the pitch motions. I've really been struggling with figuring out how to make this work. I was hoping to fit both the rotation and pitch servos, but even after downsizing to 3.7g servos I've ended up with moving the rotation servo to the roof to keep the scale size of the monitor body. There just isn't room in there for both of them with that hinge, lights and the stiff nitro fuel line.

Video of pitch movement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy_qYI0ExHk

Bonus picture

Last edited by Wombii; 01-27-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

wow this is a amazing build. cant wait to see more.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Just keeps getting better and better, keep up the great work.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Those power and lighting panels are looking about as complex as the real pump panels.

That new monitor is looking great. Could the pitch servo be trimmed a little and fit up in the rounded side with a fwd/aft pushrod instead?

If nitro fuel line is too stiff, would some Silicone wire insulation be any better for you? Removing conductors isn't alwaysthe easiest, but it's about the most flexible 'tube'.

I love the snow night picture!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 AM

ChILd_ReBoRn is on a distinguished road

If you need silicone tubes, go and buy urinary catheters. Cheap as dirt, soft as a feather
Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Could the pitch servo be trimmed a little and fit up in the rounded side with a fwd/aft pushrod instead?
I was hoping to be able to do that. Part of the problem is my lack of experience and the order of operations. 3D printing could probably solve the issue, but I'm building the shroud by first making a support structure and then adding thin strips to shape the 3 dimensional curve. I don't know how much of the support structure I can remove without weakening the shell too much. I also need that support structure to build the bottom third with another inward angled curve. After building that part I no longer have access to cleanly remove the support structure.
Another part is not having enough room in there. I want the shroud as close to scale accurate as possible. I also don't want the servo poking out through the side of it. The bottom third is angled inwards and the top curves. That means the servo has to be moved close enough to the center that it the hose starts to give me trouble. The 3.7g servo is already as compact as it can get, and the next size down would probably be the linear servos in ultra micro airplanes which I think will be too weak. The hose takes up a lot of room because I can't bend it too sharply to avoid kinks. This doesn't even take into account the need to make a good rotating mount which will take up even more space on the bottom. Now that I have one way that I know works, I'll take another look to see if I can rotate the servo in a weird angle and make it fit back there though. It would make it cleaner and avoid water dripping on the servo. Another solution would be to hide the servos in the cab, but I spent 6 months on that roof, and I don't want to drill holes in it.

Thank you both for the suggestions about tubing. I'll look into them. The fuel tubing I'm using has a pretty thick wall. My initial concern with more flexible tubing is that the line will either kink in the bends or try harder to straighten out when pressurized with water, making it just as stiff. In the small amount of testing I've done the nitro tubing starts fighting pretty hard when I turn on the pump.
The oversized pump has nipples for a very thick 6 (or is it 8?) mm inner diameter tube. I'll be running that from tank to pump and pump to roof. On the roof I'm connecting it to the shorter line of fuel tubing through the monitor. The fuel tubing perfectly fits inside the thicker tubing which make that job easier. This is all a huge experiment though, and I don't know what I'm doing, so I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Some fantastic old school skills in modelling here that you don't see any more b/c of 3D printers. Good job! Subscribed

Joe
Old 02-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Green Horn

This fire monitor keeps throwing problems at me that I never considered. One of them is how to make a simple swivel mount with low friction that is both stable and can be attached and detached reasonably quickly. Another issue is the geometry of a flexible tube. If it bends at another radius or another location than the hinges, the tube will need to stretch. This causes strain on the servos that they can't overcome. I've solved it for the pitch servo, but I don't see a solution for the rotation axis. Currently, rotating the monitor 30 degrees moves the end of the silicone tube by half an inch.

This is my current attempt at a swivel mount using a ring magnet on a thin tube that snaps to a ball bearing inside a large tube.

Carving cosmetic ridges on the nozzle shroud. They really made a huge difference to the scale appearance.

I gave it another shot and managed to carve out enough support structure to mount the swivel rotation servo on the inside, made a removable structure to hold the pitch servo and swivel mount and got the skirt mounted. I also apparently killed the pitch servo. I was hoping it was due to glue, but it looks like I bent the output shaft a fraction of a degree. That's a bit worrying, as I can't fit larger servos. Also visible to the rear is a bent styrene guide tube that helps reduce the strain of the pitch servo caused by the silicone tubing.

Other than these issues I'm very happy with the shell. The construction with thinner layered materials make it surprisingly strong and light.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Bare å bøye seg i hatten, som Weng sa

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Green Horn

Switched to a thinner tube (2,5mm vs 3,5mm inner diameter, but much thinner walls) and now I'm not that worried about the servos. Did some testing, and the water flow is still acceptable. The nozzle still needs to be smaller than that anyway, to get a suitable throw distance.

I've hidden the connection between the 7mm and 2,5mm tube inside the dummy pipe going to the monitor. The thin tube needs a loose S curve or a loop to not hinder the rotation of the monitor, but I'm not 100% sure this is the best way to do it. The alternative is to let the water tube exit the top of the monitor. The real monitor has a thinner tube there (I believe it's for foam chemicals). That would mean another major change to the monitor though.

I really don’t want to do that change though, because I'm almost happy with the filling and sanding on the back of it.

In other news, I also tested the design for the water level sensor, and It's nowhere near reliable enough. I'm ditching the transistors and went with another arduino. This will also let me send the water level and all the battery + BEC voltage levels as telemetry data through the receiver, or I could display the current gear or other data on the LEDs instead.

https://youtu.be/bfd05Ux-Fx8

My main pump operates one way only, so I'm going to use my backup 12v nitro fuel pump to fill and drain the water tank. By chopping off some bits with a hacksaw I can just about fit it in the space on the left side below the tank compartment, giving me plenty of room for the tank itself.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Green Horn

Major hiccup / minor disaster. Confirmed my suspicions with some paint tests today. Turns out of the 3 cans of paint I bought, one of them has a newer production date. That can is far more gray/green than the first two. Now I'll either have to buy another can and hope it matches the first two, or find a better paint and repaint what I've already done.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

This project is really looking good!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Green Horn

Thank you!

Started a very simple roof liner. Holes for interior dome lights and mounted using the same magnet setup that holds the roof platform.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Green Horn

Rough center console / divider / shelf thing.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Green Horn

Finishing up the rear fenders. Side marker light should hopefully work with a 3mm LED, no fiber optics.

5mm warm white LEDs in the monitor.

Got another two boxes of yellow paint. This batch still doesn't fully match the first two, but it's less green than box 3. I also got the correct plastic primer which I'll be testing both alone and in combination with the Tamiya primer. Tried spraying it, and it's tricky to ensure good covering of a clear spray on white plastic.
Painted the pump section with yellow paint on white Tamiya primer.

This is very much not a scale feature, but I'm cheating a bit and making a carrying handle. It shouldn't be too obvious hidden in the other mess on the roof, and it will make it a lot less scary to move the thing.

Final image is a follow up on an earlier test. Tamiya TS-63 Nato black and TS-82 Rubber black. Bottom half was no clear coat, top half Motip clear coat. On top of that is a stripe of Tamiya Flat clear crossing both parts. Observations: Nato black is more green, rubber black is more blue. The glossy clear coat makes them look much darker and closer in color. Tamiya flat clear on top of the glossy clear returns them to their natural look, but flat clear on top of the "raw" paint adds slightly more light gray.

In the last week I've started to feel I have a chance of actually finishing this someday. My todo list fits on one page now.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

That rig just keeps getting cooler!

Maybe hide the carry handle by etching it with "scania" or "rosenbauer" logos / Mount some lights on it?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Green Horn

A logo would look good. There's going to be some boxes and ladders up there, so it should hopefully be able to blend in.

Glued the side panels on the tank module.
I had tried fixing some issues with one of the panels, but did a poor job. Tried to ignore it and glued it on anyway. After priming I eventually decided this would bother me, even though no one else would probably ever notice, so I spent some time ripping it off again and made a new one.

Painted the bottom black, sides yellow. The new paint cans look pretty good, but it's now super obvious that I'll have to repaint the rear section again because that can 3 was way too green. As a bonus a gust of wind sprinkled my newly painted side panel with grass, so I had to do a bit of sanding and paint it again. Tamiya gray primer for the sanding process then Tamiya white primer then yellow seems to work fine now.

I'm still struggling with the fiber optic light shining through the side walls of the pump module though.

This is after spraying primer - Tamiya silver - primer - yellow - yellow on top. It's still shining through, but much better. I've also painted the bottom half of the sides, gave the rear section another coat with the new can and moved the rear wheels again, hopefully for the last time.