RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough
Default SS-tronix Wireless Light and Legs

For those interested, I am installing a SS-tronix system in my rig and trailer and adding it to my build article. I have added more photos and illustrations to help those on the fence with what is involved with this system.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/bu...ticle#wireless

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:48 AM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SS-tronix Wireless Light and Legs

I have SS-Tronix system on my prime mover and all 4 trailers - all installations have been 100% fault free, great system....
Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Where can you buy it? Expensive?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

You have to buy it directly from them. http://www.ss-tronix.co.uk/ Prices aren't too bad just keep in mind there's a 6-8week turn around but they don't charge you until your order is ready and they send you a paypal invoice.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Thanks Peter
Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM

Animal is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: SS-tronix Wireless Light and Legs

I have the SS-Tronix system in my Globe Liner and two trailers, It's a fantastic setup, and the service is second to none. If you get the system and run into any problems, you can find a lot of help on their forum. And you can also talk to Scott on Skype if you need to. I recommend this system for anyone that wants the ability to have lights on their trailer, but hates having to plug them in every time. You can also get add on boards that can run the trailer legs so you can remove the bulky mechanical setup that Tamiya has.I've been rebuilding my Globe, and should have it up and running soon. I'll post some picks when I'm done.

Pete.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

I agree with all the above. If you add up the component costs then the system price is decent value if you also consider the R&D which must have gone into it to make it commercially viable.

USD getting stronger against GBP at the moment so if you are in USA then price is effectively falling right now....

If you have a spare channel on the Rx in the prime mover, you can plug this into the transmitter board in the truck which will then transmit the signal to the trailer. The receiver board in the trailer then has the capacity to drive a single RC channel. This channel can be used EITHER for the support legs with the add-on controller (to remove the bulky Tamiya set up as indicated by Animal), OR to drive an extra function on the trailer such as a speed controller or servo. You can't have both....for this reason I stayed with the Tamiya system for the legs so I could save the channel for extra features on the trailer eg. tipper trailer screw drive or coupler for my B-Double road train.

The circuit boards in both the truck and trailer have spare connections for extra lights. This is a good feature so you can switch extra running/ side lights without putting the MFU at risk

Another advantage of this system is that it only works when there is 'line of sight' for the infra-red signal from truck to trailer, so once you uncouple the truck then the trailer system stops working. Other systems using WiFi or radio signals mean that the trailer features keep working (turn lamps, brakes lamps, etc) when the trailer is disconnected, which looks really odd if you are driving the truck around separately in some other place!

A few things to note:
1) you need to have the MFU installed in the truck to use this system - it uses the MFU output as the input into the transmitter board to drive the I/R signals for the trailer lights. I don't think it is compatible with other (eg. Servonaut) lighting systems, but SS-Tronix will be able to confirm this.

2) the circuit board in the trailer needs its own power supply, anything from 6 - 12V works as the board has its own voltage regulator, so you'll need to work out what battery format you want to use and where/ how to mount it. I use a low capacity Tamiya pack (1800mAh) which fits neatly between the trailer chassis rails.

Last edited by ricm; 10-07-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:17 PM

tomzag is on a distinguished road

Do you have a scan of the installation guide for ss-tronix? I appreciate it if you can provide.

Thanks,

Tom