RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 12-02-2021, 02:25 PM

Wheat47 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello, all

R/C newbie here. Mostly I build miniature model stationary steam engines, and pumps or something for them to run. Over the past few years, I've become interested in model cranes, hopefully R/C controlled. I purchased a set of R/C crane planes from John/Tom which seem to be a good starting project. HOWEVER, I know almost nothing, el-zippo about R/C. I'm near Billings, Mt and there are only a couple of R/C stores there, but they are mostly into cars and rock climber things. Somehow, I ran across Rvjimd's video about the crane he built, and I was absolutely fascinated!!! Obviously, way beyond my R/C knowledge, hopefully something to aim for.
I have my own mini-machine shop. I have a Jet 13" lathe and a mill/drill plus a small metal shaper and a small Atlas horizontal milling machine. There is also a stick welder and a wire welder and a gas welder. I do on occasion do small machine work for my farmer neighbors. Please feel free to message me with any questions or comments. I figure when I stop learning, I'm dead!!!
Old 12-02-2021, 05:52 PM

Tgrzes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello, all

Welcome! Looking forward to watching your project progress!
Old 12-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see some of your engines and stuff they run!

What are you planning for the crane project? Pretty sure you'll be able to get plenty of help and suggestions along the way.

Since you mentioned RvJims build, I'll also suggest a couple search terms to start with to help gather some RC information for your crane. (There are a bunch of amazing builds around, i'm not trying to slight any of the scratch build models.)
Nylint Michigan crane
Doepke Unit crane
Old 12-02-2021, 09:34 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum wheat... by your of choice of username you must be a farmer, me too, just 4hrs north of you.

Not much to the basics of rc, your local hobby shops probably have everything you need to get you started, a lot of it is plug & play, very little setup.

servocity.com out of Kansas, I think, has a lot of nifty gearbox motors & structural materials to help you with your crane build.

Joe
Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 PM

Hi, LG. Where abouts are you in SK? Yes, was born and raised on a farm near Sidney, Mt.
Worked for a few implement dealers in the Bllgs area, but of all things, I retired from being a railroad mechanic. My wife accused me of going to work to "play train for real!!" Probably more truth to that than I care to admit to!!
We have about 10 acres that I make hay on and sell to the horsey people. As I said, a pretend farmer that provides amusement for all the farm neighbors!!
I'm pretty well into a couple of antique tractor clubs, one of which is Chapter #40 of the IHC club. (International Harvest Collectors). We even held an IHC club show at our place the last couple years. The other club is in Huntley, MT. I always take some of my mini steamers to that show plus I run the antique machine shop during the show. Not many models show up there, but a few from time to time.
Several years ago, I went to the Estevan Model Engineers show. That really inspired me to do more modeling. As I age, sometime down to road I'm gonna have to give up my "big" toys. So that is what has prompted me to get more into the R/C things.
Thanks for the hint about servocity. I must have a dozen notebooks around her that are filled with plans for mini steam engines and accessories plus plans for cranes I've found online. Now to get to work on them!!!
Take care and keep in touch!!
Old 12-04-2021, 12:02 AM

Hello, frizzen.
Thanks for the reply.
I would like to build a crawler crane.
Look up: http://john-tom.com/CrawlerCrane/Lat...e.html#RCCrane
That is one I'm considering, as it seems to be a fairly simple "beginning" project.
I have a Nylint Michigan clamshell truck crane from when I was a kid. It must be 65 years old and still in good shape. I've seen those Doepke Unit cranes, too. Both would be good R/C projects, but for when I get MUCH more proficient!! I plan on going to a toy show in Great Falls, MT in January (if they have it!!) and I'm gonna keep my eye out for one of those Doepke's.
I agree, both the scratch-built and remodel things are fine work. I've also attended a Model Engineer's show in Rapid City, SD 2-3 times. Those guys do not make machinery, they make jewelry!!!
Some years ago, I purchased the plans for a larger crawler crane from a guy in Washington state (I think). At that time there were not the good R/C things that we have today. The crane that guy that built was so good, some company bought it to use to teach new operators how to run them!!! BUT after a couple moves, I've misplaced those plans. I know I didn't toss them, but where the heck did I put them!?!?!?!?!
After more studying, when I learn how, I'll post some pic's of the engines I have.
Thanks for the reply, keep in touch!!!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:48 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Wheat, I’d love to see your steam engines! I completed one last winter (I think that was when). If you plan to convert your crane and need help or have questions give me a shout. Jim