RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 AM
Snowman3725

Default Re: DX 18 set up queation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I use the Sabertooth 2x25 in my JD850 & the 2x12 in my old Stahl 922, both models are on the DX18 & both have their DIP 1 set to mix.

On the DX18, Aux 4 is left slider, Aux 5 is right slider.

The dual esc does behave differently on the sliders vs a stick, the "sub trim" in radio settings is neutral or center point & the numbers are excessive one way or the other to find neutral for both steering & for/rev motion.

The dead band on neutral is very small for both steering & for/rev, just one click from center on the indent of the slider to make the tracks stop moving. I've fussed with DIP 5 & DIP 6 switches to try to calibrate & hold, but it seems to change every time I turn on the model. I believe I have both DIP 5 & DIP 6 switches up so the Sabertooth initially recalibrates itself every time I turn on the model.

I use left slider (Aux 4) for steering & right slider (Aux 5) for for/rev.

My memory doesn't serve me quite as precisely anymore, you'll need to look at Sabertooth manual, it's DIP 1 is the motor controller mix, but I don't recall if UP is on or off. And I find that DIP 4 acceleration ramping on works with better results than off.

My JD450 has brushless motors to propel the tracks, so it has individual esc's, & trying to mix the sliders so I can drive it like a Sabertooth... I couldn't get it to work properly, so I operate one track on each slider... I would prefer the mix control, but it is what it is with this model.
Thank you, very informative. The sabertooth website actually has a dip switch guide where you enter some basic information and it shows you how to position the 6 switches in order to achieve what you're looking for. I also read that auto calibration can be turned off using 1 of the switches. Ideally, I'd like to have left slider control left track, and right slider control the right track and set up a mix through the DX 18 to use the right joystick for more precise controls. I'm not sure what kind of motors are in it, so im going to pass on the esc for now