RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:13 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road
Default USAF Peterbilt Minuteman TEL

During the Minuteman missile program, the Air Force had two types of Transporter Erector Launchers, (both were called TEL, but they were only used to transport and emplace the missile in the silo; not ever to launch it). There was an underslung type of tractor used in the 1960s, which was replaced in the late 1980s by the 10x6 type that I would like to build. A search of "Minuteman TEL" will show both types.
I have a man on eBay who is willing to print a cab for me, but he's asking exactly what type of Peterbilt it is, and I just don't know. It is a short cab that looks like a 352, with two rear windows on a sloping rear wall, and but it's odd in that it sits well forward of the wheels, so there is no wheel arch at the bottom. It also appears to look longer on the left side of the cab than the right, and this is because the right side "cuts in" to a semicircular recess right behind the door so that the single exhaust stack doesn't stick out past the rear wall of the cab.
Does anyone know what this type would have been known as? I have never been able to find any specifics on it. Thank you in advance! -Mike
Old 04-20-2021, 03:01 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: USAF Peterbilt Minuteman TEL

The couple pics I found look pretty archaic, like it's just four walls pop-riveted together.

I've known of this guy for more than 20yrs, he's a Peterbilt fanatic; if it was ever made by Peterbilt, he probably has literature & maybe even built a scale model replica of it too.

http://www.timstrucks.com/

Joe
Old 04-20-2021, 09:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

So you want the top picture on this page instead of the one that looks like an aircraft Tug?

https://minutemanmissile.com/missilemaintenance.html

There seems to be a lot more info out there about the Boeing/Cessna/Gmc v12 one.

http://thunderv12.com/gmc_v12_missile_transporters
--
Indicates new tractors for the TEL deployed in 1981, 1991, 2003.
https://www.warren.af.mil/About-Us/F...d-transporter/
Kenworth K-100E or Freightliner
--
Found a drawing indicating it's possibly a Peterbilt 320?

Last edited by frizzen; 04-20-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:30 PM

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I am trying to build the later type that was built (according to the few license plates I have found in photos of it) in 1988 and 1990. The GMC V12 engine article is interesting; but that powered the earlier "aircraft tractor" type. And, the last type of truck shown is for all the ancillary equipment that was required to lower the missile into the silo, (you often see it alongside the TEL when at the silo).

I did look up the Peterbilt 320 reference, but the details are pretty far off, so I don't think it's based on that. I don't know the obvious visual differences between a 352 and a 362, other than the round vs square headlights, and was guessing that was a day cab version of one of those.

I have a retired Air Force friend who worked in the motor pool, and I asked him if there was an official color for the dark blue that they painted the vehicles. He told me it was known as "Strata Blue" (which makes it sound more Air Force than Navy Blue, I guess).

I also wrote Tim's Trucks, and am waiting to see what he thinks about it. Thank you for that link.

Last edited by sassgrunt; 04-20-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 PM

Tim did get back to me and generously shared some photos that I had not seen previously. He confirmed that it is a Model 362 with a 63" cab; standard 362 SFFA bumper; and pointed out a sander box behind the fuel tank that I had not noticed before.

I'm sending his info to the guy who is going to print it, and we'll see how close he can get to the actual details. It will be awhile before I make a lot of progress on it, but this certainly gets me further down the road. So far, the frame is 36" long; I've figured out the twin steering, and have bought three sets of air suspension for the drive axles (and four sets for the trailer axles).

Thank you all very much for your help!