RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Green Horn

Straywolf is on a distinguished road
Question Question about scale nuts and bolts.

I have a new project in my head and i was wondering how to figure out what size Bolt's and nut's to use? I mean when i get a new truck kit, should i go by the instructions and just replace all the screw size's?, i was wondering what would be the easy way to figure this out.

I plan on using the ones from scale hardware and i also think i will need taps too is that correct? (sorry i am not that savy on all this)

Thank's Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Green Horn

dmess62 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about scale nuts and bolts.

Some people replace them with different heads on them. Almost all of them are 3mm with different lengths, that is what I'd do. As far as taps I bought a couple 3 mm taps to use when drilling new holes especially of you go with aftermarket frame rails as they are blank no holes drilled

Hope this helps. Dave

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

If you are looking for scale bolts and nuts, I get mine from Cole Power Models they do steam and are in Warren Texas phone number is 409 547 3400 they have the taps and dies also. They have 2.56 steel scale bolts and nuts and they are very good looking. Ed
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
If you are looking for scale bolts and nuts, I get mine from Cole Power Models they do steam and are in Warren Texas phone number is 409 547 3400 they have the taps and dies also. They have 2.56 steel scale bolts and nuts and they are very good looking. Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmess62 View Post
Some people replace them with different heads on them. Almost all of them are 3mm with different lengths, that is what I'd do. As far as taps I bought a couple 3 mm taps to use when drilling new holes especially of you go with aftermarket frame rails as they are blank no holes drilled

Hope this helps. Dave
Thank you both for the info.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

most of the tamiya screws are M3 with a .5 pitch. there are many different lengths some with or with out sholders. I think the shortest length is 6mm?

If your on a budget do what I did.. I suggest Mc Master Carr and buy the different lengths and style you likei.e..., socket head,Hex head, etc...
most are 3-4 dollars for a box of 100. May also want to buy the locking nuts as well.

HTH
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
most of the tamiya screws are M3 with a .5 pitch. there are many different lengths some with or with out sholders. I think the shortest length is 6mm?

If your on a budget do what I did.. I suggest Mc Master Carr and buy the different lengths and style you likei.e..., socket head,Hex head, etc...
most are 3-4 dollars for a box of 100. May also want to buy the locking nuts as well.

HTH
Thank you very much i will go and check em out.

Mike

Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM

RoadFlyer is on a distinguished road

Got mine from Mc Master Carr in 6mm,. 8mm, 10mm and 12mm. As LMACKATTACK said they come in packs of 100. The way to go economically. They all worked well on my Knight Hauler and no taping required.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Jw. is on a distinguished road

KNUPFER Modell in germany. For those tamiya metric sizes.

http://translate.google.com/translat.../shop/&act=url

US distributor. Only carries up to 2mm. Also has taps, dies and drill bits under tools.

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/html/s...tore_hrdwr.htm

Last edited by Jw.; 05-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I buy from these guys. http://www.microfasteners.com/home.php Not a lot of metric stuff but they do carry a lot of small standard stuff. They have some tools too. I received my order within a few days even coming across the border. Nice polite people to talk to as well!

Reg
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

RC4WD also has some nice hex head screws, but the variety of lengths available are not nearly as abundant as the socket head cap screws. To me, socket head cap screws are huge improvement over the phillips head screws that come with most Tamiya kits. Nothing looks worse then a phillips head screw on a scale model. At least a socket head screw, even if it's not a hex head, doesn't stick out so bad.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFlyer View Post
Got mine from Mc Master Carr in 6mm,. 8mm, 10mm and 12mm. As LMACKATTACK said they come in packs of 100. The way to go economically. They all worked well on my Knight Hauler and no taping required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw. View Post
KNUPFER Modell in germany. For those tamiya metric sizes.

http://translate.google.com/translat.../shop/&act=url

US distributor. Only carries up to 2mm. Also has taps, dies and drill bits under tools.

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/html/s...tore_hrdwr.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I buy from these guys. http://www.microfasteners.com/home.php Not a lot of metric stuff but they do carry a lot of small standard stuff. They have some tools too. I received my order within a few days even coming across the border. Nice polite people to talk to as well!

Reg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
RC4WD also has some nice hex head screws, but the variety of lengths available are not nearly as abundant as the socket head cap screws. To me, socket head cap screws are huge improvement over the phillips head screws that come with most Tamiya kits. Nothing looks worse then a phillips head screw on a scale model. At least a socket head screw, even if it's not a hex head, doesn't stick out so bad.
Thank you everyone for all the info.

Mike