RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road
Default Over The Road Hauler "OverHaul"

Well Here are a few sneak peaks at my new project I've got lined up to tow my tractor around to different sites. I started with a new CAT C15 but for some reason after a few 100,000 miles it seems to be having an oil leak. Could anybody else have seen this coming?

Here is the engine new.

Along with the new header pipe.

Now as it sits after many miles on it.

Does anybody else think it may have a small oil leak anywhere?

Also looks like that header has seen beter days.

Hope you all enjoy and I hope to have some more overhual pics throughout the week.

Tyler
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Over The Road Hauler "OverHaul"

I like what you are doing with the engine. I find if interesting to to make the proper changes to these engines. I don't know nearly enough about what they are suppposed to look like. someone eles did a convert of these before. keep it up.

Rob
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

Nice weathering. But where's the rest of the truck?

My Peterbilt build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Journeyman

Default Truck Pics

Ask and you shall recieve photos of the rig.

Here is the start to this large car build. I'm going for a mildly custom build but still keeping the working truck theme going. After all it will have to pull my lowboy and tractor around from time to time.

Stock rail just wasn't gonna cut it for this big guy.

And now the fun part. The custom hinged front and some slight body work.

Hope you all like the start of it so far and will hope to have some new updates soon on some more cab work.

Tyler
Old 11-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Journeyman

Well got some time to do some body work tonight so I decided it was time to start on the firewall and get the fenders lined back up with the body so after about four hours of work here's where the truck sits currently.

Basic firewall started.

Time for some hood gussets to line it all back up.

Also had to add a lip for the hood to rest on as a stop.

good over view of how the engine will look in the truck once I mount it finally.

Looks much better now with the firewall installed and everything lining up.

Just have a small gap on the sides to fill under the hood and make the inner wheel arch seats then it will be ready for some more filler in some small spots. (notice I am leaving the small gap in the fenders to be able to add a rubber cord on them to cushion it and give it more realism)

Thanks for looking and any comments on color or sugguestions on anything lemme know.

Tyler
Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

The body mods came out nice. What did you use for hood hinges?

Brian
Old 11-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
The body mods came out nice. What did you use for hood hinges?

Brian
Hey Brian the hing I made from some brass rod that I drilled out and used as a tube and then had a smaller rod that runs inside of it the soldered it to a couple pieces of brass then drilled them for the frame.

If you want I can take a couple more pics of the hinge if you'd like to see it all together.

Tyler
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

This is brilliant, I will be following this one.
I must get my hands on one of those 1/12 CAT C15's.....they are incredible and I have seen a few nice custom trucks on here fitted with those. All you guys are inspiring me to make my next truck a scratch build with serious scale detail.
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough

Nice work Tyler, some more detailed pictures of the hood hinge point would be usefull.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 PM

AZLIGHTNING is on a distinguished road

Very nice Work I look forward to more
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road

Nice work........I wish I had the patience to wedge one of those Cat's in a truck.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

nice work on the motor fit it...
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Journeyman

Thankyou all for the compliments. It really helps me keep going when progress starts to slow down and things aren't always going as smoothly as I'd like but I took some time off today to clean the shop and work bench and snapped a few photo's of the hood/grille and the hinge I made so some people could see it better.

So without further ado, I give to you my custom hidden hinge.

As seen from the front, you are not able to see the hinge at all on the bottom and hopefully not when it's painted and behind the grille either.

And folded in the closed position and then the open position.

Thanks for looking guys and I hope I can get a little more progress done tommorow before I leave until friday.

Tyler
Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_farmer View Post
someone eles did a convert of these before. keep it up.
It's ok Rob you can say my name.

Tyler, not trying to rain on your parade, however I see you made the same mistake I did when I first built my hinge system for my hood...

The problem with the way you built the hinge is that when you install the front bumper the hood will hit and not open unless you have a huge cap between the hood and bumper.

If you look at a 1:1 hood on just about all conventionals you will see that the hinge has a arch to it that allows the hood to go forward when opening.

In this picture if you look close you can see where the bumper and the bumper mount touch. Then look to the left of that and you can see the bottom edge of the hood. Now notice that there is a little over a 1/4" there that is taken up by bumper.

In this picture you can see that in order to make this work I literally had to build it JUST like the 1:1 trucks. I had to have the back of the bumper relieved and then had to bring the pivot point of the hinge out and in side the bumper. This allows for the hood to move far enough forward to clear the bumper but also makes the pivot far enough forward so that the hood sit where it needs to be when closed.

This took a LOT of trial and error. I'm not telling you what or how to do it, but hey if someone else already went through all the BS then why do it your self.

The long and the short of it is this. The hood has to be in front of the bumper when open therefore the gap between the hinge pivot point and the hood has to be greater than the width of the bumper. The only other way to do it is to mount the hinge to the top of the bumper as several people have done. however if you think about it even doing it like that when the hood is open it is still in front of the bumper.

Just thought I'd give ya a heads up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mike and Tyler the pics are very helpfull.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Journeyman

Talking Re: Over The Road Hauler "OverHaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
It's ok Rob you can say my name.

Tyler, not trying to rain on your parade, however I see you made the same mistake I did when I first built my hinge system for my hood...

The problem with the way you built the hinge is that when you install the front bumper the hood will hit and not open unless you have a huge cap between the hood and bumper.

If you look at a 1:1 hood on just about all conventionals you will see that the hinge has a arch to it that allows the hood to go forward when opening.

In this picture if you look close you can see where the bumper and the bumper mount touch. Then look to the left of that and you can see the bottom edge of the hood. Now notice that there is a little over a 1/4" there that is taken up by bumper.

In this picture you can see that in order to make this work I literally had to build it JUST like the 1:1 trucks. I had to have the back of the bumper relieved and then had to bring the pivot point of the hinge out and in side the bumper. This allows for the hood to move far enough forward to clear the bumper but also makes the pivot far enough forward so that the hood sit where it needs to be when closed.

This took a LOT of trial and error. I'm not telling you what or how to do it, but hey if someone else already went through all the BS then why do it your self.

The long and the short of it is this. The hood has to be in front of the bumper when open therefore the gap between the hinge pivot point and the hood has to be greater than the width of the bumper. The only other way to do it is to mount the hinge to the top of the bumper as several people have done. however if you think about it even doing it like that when the hood is open it is still in front of the bumper.

Just thought I'd give ya a heads up
Hey Mike I have looked at your build about oh lets say 1000 times and still drool over it so I knew what I was in for when building the hood hinge.

I made two different styles of hinge one like yours but I broke out the math, calculator, computer and booted up my cam program and so became this hinge. If you notice in my pics of where it is mounted it pivots the whole hood and grill right on the very edge of the lower grill to where when lifted forward the whole hood lifts up .012th's of an inch so I can have the bumper in the stock location with no interference and also keep the body lines tight. I had to sacrifice some space at the lower part of the back of the hood as seen in the pics to clear the lift but fill that with small rubber cording and it seals right back up and looks like a real truck. I'll take some pics of one of my mock up bumpers I've started and let ya see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the input tho, and if you ever wanna build another steering box you'd save me alot of time that way.

Tyler
Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Re: Over The Road Hauler "OverHaul"

Here's an update for everyone but some good pics for Mike as well. I hope these help you see what I had to do to make the hood tilt Mike.

Anyways, not a whole lot of progress lately with the busy week and the holiday thrown in there but I've got a little time today to work on the truck some. I decided I didn't like the "high roller" look that the truck had so I shaved off the body mounts underneath and dropped the cab about a 1/4 inch. Since I dropped the cab I had to lower the mounting point for my hood so I had to do a little cutting on the front bumper support and go back and re-measure everything so it could open again. The mounting holes for the front bumper are still the stock location so everything else stays factory height for now.

I ordered some low pro tires to get this large car a little lower to the ground and to give me a little more fender clearance as well. I hope to have them and a new set of frame rails from Freddy this week and I should b rocking.

Enough talk and here are some more photo's for everyone to see how the hood mounts and pivots.

Thanks for looking guys and hope to hear back from ya'll.

Tyler
Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Nice job on the hinge Tyler it looks good and keep up the good work.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road

Hi Tyler , i like what you have done so far. What would that wheel base be in scale ?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

looking good so far !

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's