RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 AM

DaBomb6988 is on a distinguished road
Default First Build Ideas

For my first build I would like to replicate a Mack Granite tractor. For the cab I think my only option is to use a Bruder cab. I'm not ready to scratch build one yet. What should I use for the frame/axles? Is it cheaper to buy axles, frame rails, transmission, etc separate? Or should I buy king hauler and put the cab on it? Where is a good place or website to buy parts from? Any input will be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Green Horn

bigdogrod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Build Ideas

i think in the long run, it's easier to buy a kit or a used truck and then modify to your liking. that way you will have all the screws, trim bits, etc.

i think rear axles are about 40, the front is 35, then you need the suspension, which is about the same, the trans runs about 75, then you need wheels, tires, driveshafts, the drive cups, wheel hexes, pins, screws, frame, crossmembers, exhaust, bumpers.... and list goes on and on. unless you plan to go aftermarket on a lot of stuff, then you just need the axles and trans, pretty much everything else can be had from vendors like the ones on here, pmd, and other places on ebay.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

The Mack Granite cab is about 1/16 scale, but it does fit the Tamiya semi truck chassis pretty well. The tires will look a little on the large side, but it's a minor thing that most don't really notice. Ideally, the Granite cab would look better on a Wedico chassis, but if you want to spend all the money, go Tamiya. Wedico is expensive, for a first truck. A pro chassis kit will run you a little over $300. That won't even give you a drivetrain, and rear suspension on a pro chassis kit has no walking beam suspension, like Tamiya has. You could easily spend another $300 - $600 putting together a driveline, and if you want aluminum rims, double that figure. It's pretty staggering.

$600 would get you a way better start (more like a finish) with Tamiya parts, and I suggest you buy a complete kit. Sell what you don't need, and make a little money back. It's easier then hunting down parts.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM

DaBomb6988 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input! I agree with going the tamyia route. Another question I have then is are all the tamyia tractor kits the same with different cabs?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Craftsman

Smiley is on a distinguished road

I think all the frames are the same but the globeliner is shorter than the king and knight hauler

Keith