RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:57 PM

jevs is on a distinguished road
Default 1/14, 1/16 or other scale? Where to get started?

I am looking into a kit or a conversion project to do with my son and also serve as a Christmas present.

We were watching some RC Construction Site videos on Thanksgiving and thought that building something in that realm would be fun.

I have been doing RC all my life off and on between other hobbies (planes, cars, heli, multirotor, etc). I also build real cars, bikes, trucks, have designed CNC machines, etc. but never got much into scale land RC vehicles for some reason. I always wanted faster RC cars, but I guess I am getting older now so more functions and scale moves are becoming more interesting to me.

I don't really have a lot of interest in doing the racing buggies, truggies etc. or anything like that anymore. I always get bored real quick after I finished building them. There really isn't anything new to do there. Until my son gets better at flying, I think we need to do something land based. My son would be fine with building a 1/10th buggy or something, but I want it to be fun for both of us, so this is a better option and it doesn't just feel like work for me.

This construction type stuff looks like it would be fun for us to do. I have been wanting to do an RC kit of some sort with him for awhile and now he can finally turn screwdrivers properly. I think it is time.

Anyway, I have been looking around for the last couple days and cannot decide what scale to go for or what to get. It seems like 1/16 and 1/14 are the most common?

There seems to be no heavy equipment kits of any kind unless you want to spend thousands. I don't want to do that. I don't mind spending some money, but multi thousand dollar kits are out of the question.

So, any recommendations on something to start off with? A kit would be nice and easy, but they seem to mostly be 1/14 and just semi type trucks. A lot of the conversions and stuff seem to be 1/16" (Bruder?). I am not sure how well these scales go together when the models are interacting.

I am fine with doing one of the less expensive Tamiya semi's or something if that's the best option, but then it still comes down to scale matching to future vehicles.

I would like to have a couple vehicles that can interact so we could both operate one eventually.

As far as my capability, I can fabricate most anything, design, machine, 3D print etc. My day job degree is in electronics, so anything related to that is not a problem either.
I do have a 16x40 lathe, CNC machining center, 3D printer, various welders, etc. etc. So I can fab when needed, I just want him to have stuff to do also without getting bored watching me.

However, with that said, if there is not some "just bolting it together", then I am afraid my son might not be as involved.

I know this is a long read, but I figured it would save some questions to better explain my experience level and what I was hoping to accomplish.

I would love it if there was a few hundred dollar excavator, high lift, or other dirt mover kit, but that just doesn't seem to be the case from what I can find so far.

Just looking for some ideas/advice.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1/14, 1/16 or other scale? Where to get started?

Got any Tonka construction toys kicking around? ...just add gear motors & screw drives to make em work. Google ServoCity, RobotShop, Firgelli. Nothing for quality rc dirt workers under a thousand $ without a lot of self modification... you could teach your son how to design & program cnc.

Joe
Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 AM

After looking pretty hard at this stuff for a few days, I am actually having similar thoughts as your advice. I have a lot of other more important projects in the queue already that I never have time for and realize I don't have time to add a custom build construction RC right now.
I am still considering something as a kit because I could squeeze that in with my son without it being a long term deal, but I have just not found the right thing.

I am also considering switching gears and just buying a couple ready to run Kyosho Mini-Z buggies or something like that and setting up a track in the basement to satisfy the Christmas present thing for now. I already have eight 4'x8' tables I built in the basement that were supposed to be for a giant digital slot car track that I am never going to have time to finish designing and setting up. I could use those to get a small scale RC track setup pretty quickly. He would enjoy that.

I can have him help me build the CNC router or help with some other projects already in the works instead to get him some build experience. He just won't be as interested in those or be able to do as much on them though. He is too young to do any CAD, CAM, or design work yet. He is just at the age to start using basic hand tools effectively. I really wanted to sit down and build an RC kit with him, because that is perfect for his age. I want him to experience being a builder instead of just another mindless tablet facebook video game drone. One of the most exciting and rewarding things I did as a kid was building my first R/C car from a box of parts. I still remember getting a new Tamiya Frog and building it way back when it was new and the only real RC had to be built from a kit. I remember all the learning I got from battery terminals falling apart, figuring out how to solder, differentials stripping out, dealing with those old piece of crap mechanical speed controls etc He would be much more interested in an RC kit than my projects and we could just work on it a little here and there as time permits without taking up a bunch of space etc.

Anyway, to make a long story short, a custom build is out for me, but I am still looking at kits of something. Unfortunately it might not be heavy equipment or construction related since there aren't many options.

Last edited by jevs; 12-02-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I think your best bet is to buy a Tamiya semi. You can build it stock and then do small projects to modify it with your son as you go. You could take the mods two ways, make them yourselves or buy aftermarket and swap out the parts together. Lots to learn there with the assembly and paint but it's all simple enough to keep his interest and yours. Just my .02

What is the car in your avatar?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM

I think your advice is good. I am still considering one of those. I have also been looking at their tanks. Those things get pretty pricey though. I was thinking a semi and tank could go together at some point though. They are different scale though at 1/16 vs 1/14. Wish they would have them the same.
Tamiya does have a dump truck kit too, but it is small scale. I have not looked at it closely yet to see if it is anything worth messing with.

The car is one of my current big projects in the never ended list of things I seem to get myself into It is a Brunton Stalker XL. This is one of the reasons I need to stay out of starting yet another big custom project.
http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.p...kerXL-23-Build

P.S. Anyone know why when I try to add a picture it just shows as 157kb and never shows up even though it seems to upload?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
I think your advice is good. I am still considering one of those.
We are offering one of those at a deep discount with the radio! Check out the Coupon Code on this page.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...0#.VmH9b9irS73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.