RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Tires for conversions

Well I've been looking at different tires for conversion projects. Most of the stuff I do falls in that "in between scale" Tonkas, Ertle Big Farm, Diecast Masters,Bruder. They are kind of ...generally ...around 1/16ish maybe 1/17ish...except the Bruder which seem closer to 1/15...
Before we get bogged down in "scale" these were built as toys so they are "close" to a scale... The toy designers designed them for kids to play with and have fun.... not have a micrometer slapped to them....so they are toys....
Anyway, I found a few tires that seemed to work with the above TOYS and wanted to share the dimensions with anybody that does these conversions so they a better idea of tires sizes since they aren't really mainstream RC stuff
Here is what I found...this list is not all encompassing just what I have found so far.

The first one is a Lego tire, the originals are getting pricey but I found some knock offs on Aliexpress for around $2. The only problem is the rim size it's different than all the other RC tires, I've been remixing WPL rims to fit these larger ID...

I didn't get a picture but the ID is appox. 33.7mm

The next one is a WPL tire they call the Gravel tire it looks like the Tamiya tire only smaller..All the WPL tires use the same size rim but again a kind of odd size at 1.2 inch a 1inch RC rim falls thru but the 1 inch RC tire can be "stretched " to fit the WPL rim , there are a bunch on Thingiverse, I've found a few that look pretty good...

This next one is called a WPL v3 tire and is what comes in most WPL kits and RTRs... the RTR tires are usually pretty firm the kits tires are a lot softer you can buy them on now as "hard" or "soft"

This next one is also WPL but is called the v4 sometimes but here is a link for this one because it doesn't really have a name. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...27424c4df1Sv4c

This one is a Diecast Masters tire.... it's a pretty hard tire and has a reputation of providing little traction but I'm pretty sure we can find a use for it...Again the rim size is odd so I just remix the ones I like to fit...the ID is appox. 36mm

This one is a small tire that I hope to use on low boy trailers or a drop deck it's another Lego but you still can find them pretty cheap its marked 49.5x20

Again an odd size ID so 3D remixing again

And this last one is a standard size Tamiya tire... in this case a Lesu I included it because some people use it on Bruders and even some of the big farm toys...I think this is the wide tire... the others I think are only 20mm wide or maybe 22...

I don't know if you can buy the Dicastmaster tires separately yet but I included them because I replaced the back tires on mine giving me 8 tires to use else where...
I get my WPL from Aliexpress for the most part they are all in the 2-3 dollar range so still affordable. The small Legos I got from Brickowl I think and I think they were less than a dollar each....but that was a few months ago.
So I hope this helps anybody doing a conversion....
I forgot one...
WARNING I'M NOT SURE YOU CAN FIND THESE ANYMORE.....
I haven't found them on aliexpress in a long time
This is also a WPL for the D12.... another odd sized toy but the tires may be of use, I put the on my Bruder Ram
They are a small tire at 55.85mm they come on a metal rim and they are pretty soft ....

Again they fit a standard WPL rim...

Last edited by jerry56; 01-08-2023 at 03:07 PM.