RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Where can i get ribbed aluminium or steel sheet?

I'm chasing some aluminium or steel sheet with the ribbed pattern like on the side of the Tamiya box trailer. I want to build a scale 53' trailer but cant find any suitable metal for it.

Suggestions?

I'm in Australia so would have to be somewhere I can order from online.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where can i get ribbed aluminium or steel sheet?

Build a Roll profile for a sheet metal roller and make them yourself??
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 AM

onestepbehind is on a distinguished road

I've been looking for the same , I can't seem to find any.....I'm trying to do the same thing and I want the panels polished......
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Wannabe

Ive found a local place that has something that looks close. Waiting for an email back about the sizing. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM

rappy is on a distinguished road

not sure where is oz you are try action aluminium i have these sheets of plastic with a thin sheet of aluminum and easy to cut nice and lite but i dont know whats its called
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM

rappy is on a distinguished road

not sure where is oz you are try action aluminium i have these sheets of plastic with a thin sheet of aluminum and easy to cut nice and lite but i dont know whats its called
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Wannabe

Wrong side of the country, Am in Perth.

The stuff i've found is by a company called
Rimex, but its available locally.

They do various textures, but the Cambridge one is the sort i'm after. Am waiting to hear back about the spacing of the grooves. Just hope i dont have to buy a whole 3m sheet of the stuff! At least its available polished.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

Hey kingbob if that looks good and will work let me know too please.i will keep my fingers crossed too i could use some also...been looking also, the local metal fabricator where i am at said he could make some i just have to get up there to see the sizes he has,but it will probably be expensive will keep everyone posted

Last edited by 1985 kenworth; 03-15-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 AM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Guys,

If the aluminum is being used on the sides of a cargo box, and not an open bed, why not use styrene sheet with that sticky-chromed application? I'll bet one of the styrene companies makes some as a 'siding' for buildings. I'm sure I've seen it about... (Go Go Google Search-Engine!)

And if you ~do~ go as far as having it made from aluminum, remember to take your existing stuff, and be prepared to leave it with 'em so they get it right. Nothing like having it made, and finding out you got a measurement wrong...

As for a scale 53' cargo-box (39.75" scale) why not just order an extra panel or two from Tamiya, and extend the box that way? Gotta be cheaper than aluminum sheet, and if you want it polished, heck, the sticky-chrome stuff will hide any seam, right?

Besides... I'm not sure I've ever seen a seamless 53' box. They ~always~ have a seam somewhere along the side.

WhiteWolf

Last edited by WhiteWolf McBride; 03-15-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 AM
Wannabe

Evergreen do make a corrugated siding that is just right, in 15x30cm sheets, and could use chrome bare metal foil. The styrene and foil sheets are $9 each locally, and to do a side would need 5 or each, 8 total. Thats $150 by itself, so its at least worth looking at a sheet of aluminium. Though to be fair, can glue styrene to minimise the seam before covering it, should be near invisible.

I have seen the Tamiya box sides on ebay for around $30au each, plus about $15 postage, so around $75ish i suppose. That is cheaper, but i'm not equipped to cut them nice and straight. And the join from that would be unmissable. But it is certainly the cheapest option.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Wannabe

Actually, the styrene way is even more expensive. To scale, the panels need to be 20cm tall, the styrene sheets are only 15cm. Need to add 2 or 3 more sheets plus chrome foil.
Easily hits the $200 mark.

And i dont think the Tamiya panels are 20cm tall. Anyone got one they can measure?

Last edited by kingbob; 03-15-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Well...

I just watched the Tamiya time-lapsed assembly of the #56326 RC Container Trailer "Maersk", and looked at the specs. At a width of 188mm (18.8cm) and would be the aluminum angle at the corners, so the panels would be a bit less. OH, and the ribbing runs up/down, the box-trailer's run lengthwise!

The Container panels are only half the container long! They have a seam in them ANYWAY, at the 20' mark. I have to assume its because Tamiya plans to make 20' contailers available at some point, so you can put 2x 20'ers on your 40' container trailers (they are assembled with mounts for this, after all)

If you'd used the container panels, you'd use 13' of the extra 20' panel you'd need to make a 53' side panel, leaving 7' extra, and after two sides, you'd have two 7' leftovers to make the extra roof length. Then you'd need longer L-stock for the upper edges, and a longer floorplate as well.

I hope you ARE factoring in the other pieces you'll need...

WhiteWolf
- looking forward to 20' cargo mods...

PS: watch the time-lapse assembly of 56326, its rather informative!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Wannabe

You're right, interesting to see how well its built and the detail Tamiya put into it!
The vertical panel lines make it easy to conceal the join though.

The Prime trailer lines run horizontal along the trailer, with no obvious seams.

And yeah, the bottom sheets are easy, i can buy aluminium sheet cheap anywhere. The top i'd go for a nice bit of stainless though. At least plain should be far easier to get!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Wannabe

Got an email back from the manufacturer, apparently the spacing on this pattern is 3mm!
Should be pretty much perfect! Its available in 0.55m, 0.8mm, 0.9mm thicknesses.

I think its a rolled pattern, so the inside and outside will have the same finish. May need a little something behind it to keep it rigid, but should be good.

I'm going to ask for a pic of the profile to check, and get some pricing.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Green Horn

civic83 is on a distinguished road

NICE, I wonder if I can find something like that here in Canada.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Wannabe

They're actually sending me a sample piece so i'll know what its like in a few days.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Wannabe

Ouch. Got a quote. Seems they'll only sell me a whole sheet, though they will cut to size. Sheets are 2440x1220 and i want 200x1150 from that. So i'd end up with 12 side pieces (6 pairs).

The cost... $670!

I'd happily pay $110 for a pair, but i dont plan to make half a dozen 53' trailers!

Back to thr drawing board
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Wannabe

I had worked out pricing for using Evergreen sheets, with bare metal foil, but that worked out at close to $200.

However that was using multiple 15x30cm sheets. I've just discovered that Evergreen do the corrugated pattern in 30x60cm sheets. Only need 2 per side, would 1 seam in the middle which once glued and backed could be made nearly invisible.

I suppose I could just use silver tape. I have a roll at home that is used for taping around aircon ducting, was pretty cheap. Be a pain in the backside to cover 2.5mm corrugations, but not impossible.

The 30x60cm sheets are about $45 locally, but have seen them online for $17US. So $68+postage, and a $5 roll of chrome tape might be the way to go.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Wannabe

Going for this pattern:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM

onestepbehind is on a distinguished road

i was reading up on monokote but never used it..... but if ya go on towerhobbies.com and look up chrome monokote it tells a little bit about it and comes six foot long and 26" wide for $18.... ya have to heat it up for the glue to stick so i dont know if that would melt the styrene or not. it is a plastic coating though... but just an idea