RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default styrene for loader bucket?

just that could i use polystyrene to make a loader bucket? i'm kind of worried about my skill in making a aluminum one or even one out of brass, but i got like pile of polystyrene from work. but just wondering if i can make it tough enough to take the pushing and working of rock piles sand dirt and gravel. what do you think?
Old 02-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: styrene for loader bucket?

The material itself could be strong enough, with a certain thickness. The problem would be to get the corner connections strong enough I would think..
Maybe someone in your neighbourhood is into metalworking, and can help put together a spot-welded bucket of steel, or alu sheets?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

It would work to hold a load but I would be more worried about how it connects to the rest of the machine and the abuse it will see. When the bucket is digging into a pile the nose sides and back side see a lot of stress. Will glue hold it? I don't think for long. Now if your only moving soft rubber or dry sand you might be ok?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post
The material itself could be strong enough, with a certain thickness. The problem would be to get the corner connections strong enough I would think..
Maybe someone in your neighbourhood is into metalworking, and can help put together a spot-welded bucket of steel, or alu sheets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
It would work to hold a load but I would be more worried about how it connects to the rest of the machine and the abuse it will see. When the bucket is digging into a pile the nose sides and back side see a lot of stress. Will glue hold it? I don't think for long. Now if your only moving soft rubber or dry sand you might be ok?
thanks guys, ya kind of what i figured. for cleaning up and loader be fine but for digging ya, may not work so well