RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adheisive advise

Last night my wife and I were at our local wal-mart. And we were going past the craft section where I found some felt. I'm going to put this in the interior of the kiss truck. Now my question is what type of adheisive would be best for applying the felt to styrene? I know super glue gets hard when it sets up, and I think it will show where it is glued through the felt. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanx, Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adheisive advise

are you looking to glue the felt as carpet or for the seats?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

You need 3m general trim spray adhesive. You should be able to get it at most auto parts stores.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
are you looking to glue the felt as carpet or for the seats?
I'm planning on doing the walls, and maybe the floors and the cab/sleeper roofs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaparts View Post
You need 3m general trim spray adhesive. You should be able to get it at most auto parts stores.
Thanx, as long as it won't attack the plastic, I should be ok. I've never used this product, so is there any special prep?

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Hi John I used water based craft glue when I did my seats it dried slower and allowed me to get nice fold lines with the material, the glue is easy cleaned of the paint brushes under warm soapy water..
Before you wrap the parts use some scrap pieces to test the glue/ fabric as different plastic's react differently..

Cheers Tracy

Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossett View Post
Hi John I used water based craft glue when I did my seats it dried slower and allowed me to get nice fold lines with the material, the glue is easy cleaned of the paint brushes under warm soapy water..
Before you wrap the parts use some scrap pieces to test the glue/ fabric as different plastic's react differently..

Cheers Tracy
Thankyou Tracy, I know there are a lot of glues and things out there. And yes, I will definitely do a test before the work begins.

Big John

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

Here is the file from 3m website.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...DS_08074_P.pdf
Its safe for polystyrene foam, so I don't think it will hurt plastic at all.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaparts View Post
Here is the file from 3m website.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...DS_08074_P.pdf
Its safe for polystyrene foam, so I don't think it will hurt plastic at all.
Thanx buddy for the info. I'm like you, and the way it reads, I don't think it will attack styrene. I may buy two or three different things just to see which works the best. I'm on another mission...

Big John

Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

The 3m adhesive works great with plastics, I use it when I wrap custom trim panels I make for 1:1 car interiors. I've used it on pretty much all types of material, abs plastic, styrene, fiberglass, poly resins, metal, etc etc etc. so you should be ok with it.

It can get messy when applying it so I'd recommend finding a test price and seeing how it goes for distance of spray and amount to apply. With this stuff a LITTLE goes a LONG way.

--Dan

Old 06-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
The 3m adhesive works great with plastics, I use it when I wrap custom trim panels I make for 1:1 car interiors. I've used it on pretty much all types of material, abs plastic, styrene, fiberglass, poly resins, metal, etc etc etc. so you should be ok with it.

It can get messy when applying it so I'd recommend finding a test price and seeing how it goes for distance of spray and amount to apply. With this stuff a LITTLE goes a LONG way.

--Dan
Thankyou Dan. That is good to know, and I have a large sheet of plastic you lay down for painting in the home. So over spray won't be a problem.

Big John