RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Knight Krawler

Darn nice work on the soldering! The headache rack is looking pretty nice already, and it's not even done yet. I'd say the frame work for your chassis turned out nice too. I have never soldered any brass but you seem to have it down. The joints look pretty good, from what I can tell. Are you using a torch to heat everything up? The fenders turned out nice as well. I never thought about using the pole trailer kit to make something like that. Are they chromed plastic, or metal? This is turning into a great build. I know what you mean about prying yourself off the forum to actually get something done on your truck! I have that problem a lot. Right now, actually!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Darn nice work on the soldering! The headache rack is looking pretty nice already, and it's not even done yet. I'd say the frame work for your chassis turned out nice too. I have never soldered any brass but you seem to have it down. The joints look pretty good, from what I can tell. Are you using a torch to heat everything up? The fenders turned out nice as well. I never thought about using the pole trailer kit to make something like that. Are they chromed plastic, or metal? This is turning into a great build. I know what you mean about prying yourself off the forum to actually get something done on your truck! I have that problem a lot. Right now, actually!
Hi Nathan, Thanks for the encouraging comments. I am definitely learning as I go, I've changed the type and size of my solder 3 times. Still trying to figure out the best way to clean it up when I'm done, but thats what it's all about, if it came out perfect the first time it wouldn't be any fun. I'm using a small butane torch, .062, 60/40 rosin core solder. The deck Plates/fenders are plastic, they're painted aluminum(?) as received in the kit. I purchased 2 deck plates from Tamiya/USA besides the 2 trailer kits I've got.

Here's some more pictures from things I got done last night. After getting the bunks done and mounted I need to shim the the front bunk up so there isn't as much of a forward slope on the load. I new it was going to be there with the back bunk up on the wheel but wasn't sure how much.

The headache rack is just laying against the cab, still need to build the mounts

Had to go pick up the headache mount stanchion material.

Big load shows the height differance in the bunks! (Will be fixed).

Thats all for now, time to hang with the family, watch the race and get back to work!
Thanks for Lookin' Kent
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 AM

uk trucker is on a distinguished road

Headache rack and soldering look very neat and tidy,I'm beginning to understand where you are going with the build, looks like a good use for a pole trailer ,or two, Great imagination!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

Looking goog I'm really liking where this is headed. Definitely a different build

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk trucker View Post
Headache rack and soldering look very neat and tidy,I'm beginning to understand where you are going with the build, looks like a good use for a pole trailer ,or two, Great imagination!
Thank you for the words of support on soldering, it helps! The more I go at this I forsee a third traler maybe. I sent you 2 PM's today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
Looking goog I'm really liking where this is headed. Definitely a different build

--Dan
Thanks Dan I hope it turns out the way I planned!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got a quick update. The shop foreman stopped by to see how the building progress was coming. After we made him happy and got him out of the way, I proceeded to fix the height difference in the log/pole bunks and finally took the dive into the cab. I decided to layer the roof to get the height I wanted vs. cutting up a perfectly good raised roof cap. Now I need to figure out the best way to remove the excess plastic.

Shop foreman, build inspection

Passed inspection On with the build!

Thanks for looking, Later!
Kent

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 03-04-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Hey Kent, don't cut the top! So are you going to sand and file the cab roof profile to give that rounded look?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Hey Kent, don't cut the top! So are you going to sand and file the cab roof profile to give that rounded look?
Thanks Nathan, I'll try to remember that! I have had a bad head cold all week and it was the first time I felt like getting in the shop. I had styrene all over the place and thought the way my week was going I'd probably cut the center out of all the plates and it was my last sheet big enough for the roof.
Yes I'm going to carve the roof to the correct proflle to the best of my ability. I'm just not sure how I'm going to do it yet! Filing and sanding will probably be my best bet. Keep watching to see how it goes!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM

uk trucker is on a distinguished road

Filing and sanding sounds the way to go with plenty of eyeball to check the profile.
Its looking a nice job so far. Guess the cat is keeping a close eye on the job
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk trucker View Post
Filing and sanding sounds the way to go with plenty of eyeball to check the profile.
Its looking a nice job so far. Guess the cat is keeping a close eye on the job
I think so, just wating to feel better so I dont mess it up!
The cat likes to hang out where ever I am and if I wasn't talking to him when the picutre was taken he would have been in the middle of the bench!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

To bad you can't just take a router and cut the profile into the roof with that! That or a shaper. What might be handy to get the profile close all the way around, would be to make a styrene template with the radius in it. Then as you file and sand, you could check the radius by placing the template over the edge, if that makes sense? Later on, the same template could be used to spread any filler.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To bad you can't just take a router and cut the profile into the roof with that! That or a shaper. What might be handy to get the profile close all the way around, would be to make a styrene template with the radius in it. Then as you file and sand, you could check the radius by placing the template over the edge, if that makes sense? Later on, the same template could be used to spread any filler.
Great thinking!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
I'm not going to get to crazy with it, just try to make it flow nice, I do like the template idea, Thanks Nathan. That also gave me an idea of how to get the correct radius in the template, I'll get back to you on that. Thanks again for helping out, hopefully I get time in the workshop this weekend to get some more done.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Nice Build, this will be awesome when finished!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nightcrawler

[I am definitely learning as I go, I've changed the type and size of my solder 3 times. Still trying to figure out the best way to clean it up when I'm done, but that's what it's all about, if it came out perfect the first time it wouldn't be any fun. I'm using a small butane torch, .062, 60/40 rosin core solder]

on your solder try a 50/50 with no rosin ,and use a paste rosin and i think you will like it
if you are careful with the paste, the solder will only flow were you brush it on and that helps clean up ,
50/50 solder is the trick that the old timers used to fix radiators back when they were all metal
should find it in the plumbing section of your local hardware store

looking good so far
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Apprentice

MoRockN is on a distinguished road

One word, WOW. Super nice looking rig! Thanks for sharing.

If you got it, a Trucker brought it....
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
I'm not going to get to crazy with it, just try to make it flow nice, I do like the template idea, Thanks Nathan. That also gave me an idea of how to get the correct radius in the template, I'll get back to you on that. Thanks again for helping out, hopefully I get time in the workshop this weekend to get some more done.
I was just throwing some ideas around. More like thinking out loud, but I still like the router bit idea best, cause it uses power tools! Ha. I'm sure you'll get it looking good. You've gotten this far, and it's great.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTech9 View Post
Nice Build, this will be awesome when finished!
Thank you for the compliment, I'm getting there slowly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
[I am definitely learning as I go, I've changed the type and size of my solder 3 times. Still trying to figure out the best way to clean it up when I'm done, but that's what it's all about, if it came out perfect the first time it wouldn't be any fun. I'm using a small butane torch, .062, 60/40 rosin core solder]

on your solder try a 50/50 with no rosin ,and use a paste rosin and i think you will like it
if you are careful with the paste, the solder will only flow were you brush it on and that helps clean up ,
50/50 solder is the trick that the old timers used to fix radiators back when they were all metal
should find it in the plumbing section of your local hardware store

looking good so far
Grumpygrady have you seen 50/50 in a small diameter? What I didn't like about the stuff I had was the diameter was to big and it would deposit way more solder than I needed for the joint which made clean up much worse. I used some 1mm 60/40 from our electronics lab at work and it was great! No problems with the joints holding and you can get away with alot less heat. Thanks for the help and compliments, keep watching, more soldering to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRockN View Post
One word, WOW. Super nice looking rig! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks MoRockN, lots more work to come, and I still got trailers to build yet!

Quote:
I was just throwing some ideas around. More like thinking out loud, but I still like the router bit idea best, cause it uses power tools! Ha. I'm sure you'll get it looking good. You've gotten this far, and it's great.
LMAO You sound to much like me with the power tool thing, why do you think its taking me so long to start this part, I'm trying to figure out what power tools I have to make it go quicker, (I don't own a router) so i'm using my dremel with a coarse sanding drum to carve it into shape! Its actually working pretty well so far. Definitely keep throwing those ideas around, especially the power tool ones and thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Heres an update on the cab. I got it sanded to the shape I'm going with for now. The picture shows it sanded to 320 grit.

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Roadmasters is on a distinguished road

That looks really nice, and i think its a first! Keep up the great work, i cant wait to see more!

Next East Coast Minitruckers Meet:

Arioch