RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Vehicles Picture Gallery > 1:1 Your Semi's,Trucks and Equipment

1:1 Your Semi's,Trucks and Equipment Here is a spot to share your 1:1 that you drive and or operate.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Green Horn

Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My "office"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Was there any classroom time before stepping into the haul trk?

How's it your fault if you're overloaded and how do you rectify the problem?

What's a 'lost time accident'? Truck crashes into another piece or roll over?

Have you had a wet load yet and pulled a wheelie to jerk the load off?
...that just sounds like really filthy talk, eh? butcha know what I mean?

All great stuff to read about, thanx for sharing Rick and Daniel, keep the chatter going... someday I'll make it up to Fort McMurray, Alberta to check out the BIG TOYS in the Tar Sands ...maybe even work there someday too.
Joe,

10-4 on the classroom time. 48 hrs of it !! After signing enough forms and paperwork to make you feel like you just bought a new house, the last four hours are spent ina simulator. And this thing is incredible. It's trailer mounted, and has replaceable cab modules for not only the haul trucks, but blades (graders), dozers, excavators, and letournea loaders. The only one i've been in so far is the haul truck, but it is a actual Komatsu cab that is controlled by a computer program, and scored accordingly. Looking forward from the seat, you see a wrap-around movie screen that replicates your actual field of vision that you would see in a real truck. Even cooler is that the computer generated screen that you watch is a accurate replication of our mine site. Roads, ramps, shovel and hopper locations are all exactly as they are in the mine.When you go through your start-up, the seat vibrates, you have direct steering wheel feedback, everything you would hear and feel as if you were in the real truck. The "Mock" dispatch sends you to different areas to load under different shovels, and in all situations. Along the way, the computer will trick you up by recreating a engine fire, tire blow-outs, oncoming traffic, animals crossing in front of you. Anything and everything that could happen when you're out working. It's the ultimate virtual reality game. I have heard rumors that the simulator cost $3 million, and I have no reason to doubt it.

That's just the first week. 2nd week you ride/drive with a different driver each day, and they report back to the trainer of your progress. Most NOOBs get signed off within that 2nd week, and are turned loose in a truck. Some need a little more help and time. Then when you begin your first night shift, you drive under supervision of a trainer for a couple hours to make sure your equally competent driving in the dark.

About overloads, it's not the drivers fault obviously if it happens. It IS however if you take one more than a certain distance. If one happens, they want it dumped right back in the dig face, which pi$$es off the shovel operator, as you're messing with cycle times and load counts. These trucks go into "Limp Mode" when overloaded,and it limits top speed to 10mph. It's a fail safe to protect the trucks electronics. We recently re-calibrated our trucks , and raised the GVW so overloads don't happen near as often now.

A Lost Time is exactly that. Any incident that keeps you from reporting to work the following day/days. It could be an equipment accident, or something as simple as getting dust in your eyes. Sure we have our share of Boo-boos, both equipment, and personal, but nothing serious enough that we don't show up everyday.

Wet loads !!. Yes, but even worse is a cold load. And they SUCK !!. When it's -22* outside, it's nothing to have up to 35 ton froze in the bottom of the box. Sometimes you can shake them loose, other times not, and the beds need cleaned out.

My other truck is a Komatsu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I'd like to try my hand at the excavator module, see if the 'collective bounce' is as sensitive simulated as it is actual? That small Komatsu hoe how I ran last Fall, I could have made it sing if I were outside of it with a radio control in my hands... being in the cab was quite new experience!

Simulator - animals in the road - if I saw a deer I'd floor it! would that be an automatic FAIL?! I hate them basturds, the amount of destruction they cause on the farm.

Night shift... I use to be a night owl when I was younger, but I get up with the sun now & don't last long after it goes down... flipping your clock every other week, is it something you ever get use to?

Does today's computer systems in these trks keep them from wheelie-ing on a stuck load? How do you clean out a frozen load... excavator?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 AM

ddc333 is on a distinguished road

Hi Joe

By the sounds of it Rick got it easy!!!!!!

I had 2 full 10 hr day inductions before I could even go on site. Once i started I spent 2 full weeks minimum 10 hr days in the class room doing all the procedures and going through all the rules and regulations. I got two work books about 40mm thick each .......... basically needed to know everything that was in them at the end of 2 weeks. We spent roughly about 4 hrs in a simulator and that was only to simulate emergency braking and if it came to the crunch you knew what you were doing.

After 2 weeks in the class room you then have to spend a minimum of 12 shifts so nearly a month with a trainer sitting next to you or in some cases following in a light vehicle until your deemed competent (At least one person I know took over 33 shifts before someone would pass her out)

After that your on your own till they move you from the 12hr roster to the 8hr and on to the 9 hr before you get back on the 12hr roster which is the best one to be on.

Joe the problem with the simulator is you can't "feel" with it if that makes any sense. I was the only one in the group I went through that had operated before and found the simulator hard because it I couldn't feel the response of the machine. What made it worse was I had come from a mechanical truck back ground to electric drive and there is a fair bit of difference between them.
Joe I reckon you would have no issues with the excavator simulator because of your radio control diggers. You operate without feeling the machine and this is what the simulator lacks. It is good for people that have never operated.

Kangaroos are an issue where we mine and at least one a day is to slow for the trucks.

Rick are your trucks speed limited ? Our maximum speed is 50km/hr. As far as i know we don't have an issue with over loads as they aim for 218t maximum payload. This something that Komatsu have put in place as a warranty measure. But that doesn't mean that trucks don't get over loaded just doesn't seem to restrict it's speed.

The emphasis is on the load unit operators not to overload the the trucks. But half the scales don't work properly or there is a problem with the computer systems or they just don't have scales. Also the loading units have scales so they go off those but without the truck scales there is nothing to check their accuracy against. The foreman often tells them throughout a shift how the loads are if they are to heavy or light or to slow turning trucks around and so on.

We use a 35t excavator to scrap out the bodies on the trucks when they get a build up in them or when they have to go to the work shop. Or the cannon of the water cart to blast it out if the little digger is unavailable
They don't like you to shake the trucks to much as it can cause issues and things break but if you have to do it reverse hard till you hit the wind row then break pull the hoist up all at once.

Night shift isn't that bad but all depends on what your doing and when you can have your break.

The computer system basically only records what the operator does so if you got hit the brakes hard it will record it as hard brake application and warnings go to dispatch and the foreman, same deal for over speeds.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

hmmm maybe i should apply at the mines here lol
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Green Horn

Rogue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc333 View Post
........ I was the only one in the group I went through that had operated before and found the simulator hard because it I couldn't feel the response of the machine. What made it worse was I had come from a mechanical truck back ground to electric drive and there is a fair bit of difference between them.

I went through the same learning curve, as I came from a mechanical truck background. I still find myself reaching for that retarder handle sometimes

Kangaroos are an issue where we mine and at least one a day is to slow for the trucks.

Out here where I am at, the **** antelope are what run rampant. They literally out number the human population in this state by 30,000 !!!
We have all sorts of wildlife on our site. Bald and Golden Eagles, antelope, prairie dogs, rattlesnakes, wild turkeys, and these big bull elk.There are 5 total, but you usually only catch these 3 at one time. All 5 together is a treat. The wander free on our reclaimed property. Needless to say, ALL wildlife has the right-of-way. We had to shut down one of our pits back in April, as we within 1 mile of a pair of nesting eagles that had hatchlings.

Rick are your trucks speed limited ? Our maximum speed is 50km/hr. As far as i know we don't have an issue with over loads as they aim for 218t maximum payload. This something that Komatsu have put in place as a warranty measure. But that doesn't mean that trucks don't get over loaded just doesn't seem to restrict it's speed.

Yes, the 830e's are limited to 28mph. The 930ae's are good up to 35mph. While not as fast as the big trucks, the 830's are quicker to build speed, so it's gets to be a pain when they mix the two sizes on a run. The big trucks are slower when loaded and climbing a ramp, yet they all but push the small trucks coming down a ramp empty.
Our 830's are good for 285ton, before they go into limp mode. The 930's are good for 385. The shovel hands on my crew are typically consistent at keeping the trucks right in the 245-260 range.

The emphasis is on the load unit operators not to overload the the trucks. But half the scales don't work properly or there is a problem with the computer systems or they just don't have scales. Also the loading units have scales so they go off those but without the truck scales there is nothing to check their accuracy against. The foreman often tells them throughout a shift how the loads are if they are to heavy or light or to slow turning trucks around and so on.

WOW, our computer system is so stringent its not even funny. The shovel keeps track of loads and tons total per shift, and loads and total tons per each truck that he loaded that shift. The computer in the truck logs total loads, and tons moved per shift. Cycle times are also logged by both the trucks and shovels. We just finished up 3rd quarter, and with the weather conditions being ideal here, our three 4100 shovels averaged 2.6 million tons each per month for the quarter.

We use a 35t excavator to scrap out the bodies on the trucks when they get a build up in them or when they have to go to the work shop. Or the cannon of the water cart to blast it out if the little digger is unavailable
They don't like you to shake the trucks to much as it can cause issues and things break but if you have to do it reverse hard till you hit the wind row then break pull the hoist up all at once.

We too use a small excavator for cleaning beds. We also have a older CAT 988 with a quick-change on it that has a stinger attachment for cleaning beds. We appropriately call this the "Violator". They don't like us "brake-checking" when the boxes are up, but we do it. i've seen trunnions shear off, and hoist cylinder spike into the dirt. Worse yet, one will pierce the floor of the box.

Night shift isn't that bad but all depends on what your doing and when you can have your break.

I usually like to take my break 2/3 through shift. That way you only have 3-4 hours left, and you're done. But we don't always get to make the call, as it's up to dispatch.
The computer system basically only records what the operator does so if you got hit the brakes hard it will record it as hard brake application and warnings go to dispatch and the foreman, same deal for over speeds.

Our system does everything but tell you if your socks don't match, or what's in your lunchbox that day..

My other truck is a Komatsu

Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
I have been thinking of a career in this. there is 2 mines around me and 2 power plants. it would be coal hauling though.

Is that some sort of Mars mining truck? I've never seen anything like it! How can it support so much weight without another axle? Crazy. Looks cool though.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker View Post
Is that some sort of Mars mining truck? I've never seen anything like it! How can it support so much weight without another axle? Crazy. Looks cool though.
Hi Trucker,

Just finished haveing a read of the Kress 200C II Coal Hauler interesting read
http://www.kresscarrier.com/brochures.php

Cheers Cossett

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 PM

Mikemike is on a distinguished road

WOW now thats the kind if job i want. LOL
Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

I'm still waiting for a call back. guys on the inside saying they are shuffling house..
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Quite an interesting bit of reading! I have been considering working in this industry myself so anytime I read positive comments on doing it day in day out, it makes the decision more enticing.