RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:00 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zil 130 Thing

Yessir! Regular cab with a full interior doesn't leave much room!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Green Horn

Here's a trailer attached showing the interference with the toolbox. On flat surfaces it's fine, but any kind of incline and the trailer gets into the box, especially when turning.

So I may have come up with a decent idea... What if I put the ESC and sound unit under the seat like this?

It'll be tight, but I may be able to squeeze both the speaker and battery under the hood. No external box and easy battery swaps, but I'm not a fan of the battery sitting so close to the motor and potentially getting hot.

I also have this speaker which is quite a bit smaller, but would likely require a box to be built. Nontheless, it would take up less room than the other speaker.

And if I did decide to build an external box for it, it could be much slimmer than the one I built before and it shouldn't interfere with trailer articulation.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

The joys of building a daycab

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 07-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a plan... putting the speaker in a smaller box sounds like your best bet.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Could the battery drop in between the frame rails between 5th wheel & cab?
Old 07-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Green Horn

Well, I think I have a bit of good news. I did some experimenting with the assortment of Lipos I've got and came up with a solution....I think. I'm pretty confident I can fit a battery and speaker under the hood, but I'll need to get smaller batteries. Not really too big of a deal since the battery will be super easy to replace, as needed. I'll likely end up with just a 1500 mah 3s so we'll have to see what kind of run time I get out of it. I suspect it'll be reasonably long enough, but I can always revisit it down the road is more capacity is needed. I can also easily fit a 2200mah 2s if I want to castrate the poor motor. But regardless, no external box will be needed whatsoever and I really like that idea!

So I "fabricated" some super high end speaker box mounts and taped them to the firewall. These may get glued if the tape doesn't hold.

Then I taped the speaker box to the brackets. The box and brackets are angled downward to allow clearance under the hood and the speaker box is just barely not touching the motor.

And here is where the battery will go. I'll need to locate the rx somewhere, but I'm less concerned about that since it's pretty small.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

I guess you've found a way to pay for your hobby, manufacturing high end speaker mounts It's always nice when you figure out how to keep things inside the cab. There are so many factors influencing the run time, but hopefully you'll be able to get a decent amount of time.

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram: