RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Ford Custom Deluxe station wagon - 1950 Woody

A while ago work sent me to Florida to do a thing. One day i had some downtime so i ended up checking out this place:

About a block away from there, I found a neglected, beat up station wagon that was ridden hard, put away wet, and still full of sand. Suprisingly little rust though! You know the same old seller story: "Ran when parked", "Everything has been rebuild but somehow lost ALL the reciepts," and um "a little old lady owned the car that only went surfing on the weekends..." Ugh, suprised they didn't want to sell me some swamp land too.

Anyway, i sent the Rental truck to haul it back. (U-haul aluminum body Maxi-mover, Chevy squarebody has 1973-74 grill, Nylint made 1975 or after?)

It's a 1949-50 Ford Custom Deluxe wagon / Country Squire wagon. I'm leaning more toward 50 with the grille.

You can tell that, by the way that it is.

With the gas prices going up toward record levels, and the Last of the V8s, i figured it was time to move the Ford XB Falcon "MFP Pursuit Special" from the garage of shame over to long-term storage. Premium fuel is hard enough to justify, but she drinks N-n-n-nitro.

Besides building it ''a piece here, and a piece there" was going too slow anyway. (Donor car is Jada fast&furious / hyper-chargers)

For some reason those narrow old Bias-Ply tires to fit the Custom are now obsolete. I still can't find *anybody* that makes a good 1/14 scale 'car-sized' Steelie wheel. So a guy had to break down and get a little bigger meats, but i dug up some Nylint 1960s Poverty-caps to help tie it together. They say Ford, so you know it's Fac-tree.

Nothing too crazy planned. Back seat delete, little body work, some detailing, some patina work.
Just gonna ease down the road with a Flathead and 3-on the tree.

Last edited by frizzen; 03-17-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:59 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ford Custom Deluxe station wagon - 1950 Woody

Have you seen these....I know they are 8 lug but I've printed a set and they don't look to bad...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3495168
Old 05-31-2022, 10:08 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jerry, I don't think i'd seen those wheels. What rubber do they use?

Wait, so frizzen went off that much about the VW bus and Surfing connection and all that, but now you specifically get a Surfer-car??? And you're going to leave the surfboard??? Yes. My dad used to build 1/24 model cars, one of his favorites that he was most proud of was a '50 Mercury woody wagon. This one reminded me of that. Besides, most of the 'car shows' that pander to 1950s cars are more about trying to Cosplay someone elses childhood anyway.

This body is a thin steel-bodied "home decoration" made of spotwelds. (UDL made in china T-400)
It specifically says "This is not a toy". So we must remember when anyone is driving the wagon they will be Operating telecommand of model craft. Not playing!

We're using a 1/16 Jada Hyper-charger donor because stuff easily unscrews from chassis to break into Pods. Steering axle is a pod, drive axle pod. This way Car interior can stay full depth.

Once i got the axles cut out, the rear seat trims and unfolds up into a cargo cover. Some JB Weld starts getting added to strengthen joints so i don't ruin paint trying to touch up welds

Plan right now looks like Battery pack, esc, and rear axle will tuck in back. Should be able to run esc lead through gap between interior sidewall and body. Rx, servo, front axle will tuck up front. Probably throw a model-on pilot warm white or amber Dashboard Light to help see the way getting to Paradise.

Last year i had media blasted 2 of these Poverty Caps, these other 2 i only hit with a wire brush and a few swipes on sandpaper before gluing to rims. I'm not sure if my favorite parking space at beach has more ocean exposure, or if we're keeping the curb-side more presentable for Going to town?

Last edited by frizzen; 06-01-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:19 PM
Journeyman

They use WPL tires
Old 06-01-2022, 05:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'll have to keep those in mind for some bigger projects. For scale the last pic in first post is sitting on a set of 'Junkyard-Jackstands' from WPL c-truck rims.

It doesn't have much room to tuck bigger wheels, and probably would have been happier with a little shorter wheels with more sidewall like they used on the f&f Charger instead of these big ones they used on the Ford GT that came in a set with a cop car.

Also been kicking around the idea of making some styrene "Port-o-walls" for the look of Whitewall tires without the expense or constant up keep. Plus it'll even out some of the rim lip to hubcap transition. Also some vintage aftermarket to tie the car back to when it was the most expensive model, before the lowest resale value hit and surfers grabbed them up.

Might even have to get a window mount Swamp-Cooler for this summer car. (Even though i'm not sure about actually putting glass in the windows, or if it'd be dry enough to work)

Considering trying to put an original wheel back on as a Continental on the tailgate, but now it's different enough from the rollers under it i'm not really feeling that idea?

Likely going to need to make some taillights, but i'm not really sold on the Original correct style that looks like some soup-cans that are mounted Way too high. I know they were high and hinged so you could drop tailgate and still have lights visible.

Last edited by frizzen; 06-03-2022 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Gangster whites, Pinner whites, Wide whites...
Old 06-05-2022, 10:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Why won't you post?
---

Way too many words...

Last edited by frizzen; 06-05-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:00 PM
Journeyman

Holy crap.... the UPS van would be a great project.....
I saw some similar cars at Hobby Lobby earlier in the year.... but the wheels were the sticking point I couldn't think of anything with the right size wheels and tires to put on it.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Jerry!
Yeah, when i saw the metal Woodie i did a lot of scale estimation before it got to 'Wrap it up'. Being thin steel the needed body tools are a little different than working plastic. I wouldn't haul with them, but for a just a Cruiser check out the Jada 1/16 rc for donors.

There were many words that went with previous post, i don't know how i messed it up but even many edits later it still wouldnt work for all of it?

Oh, ya noticed that...
The UPS Package Car is a 1/16 scale Iveco Daily P80 CNG in German UPS livery. Made by ''Happy People RC'' 3ch binary Toy electronics, 4 led pre-wired. Truck is set up for 6AA batteries. I've been trying to get one of them since 2020 when i saw This:
https://www-modelltruckforum-de.tran..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Where (German amazon let you sign in with your USA amazon account)
https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B001U5...686Y4Y86&psc=1
Shipping was slightly more than the Package Car, and still took 2 weeks to get here. Around $100 all-in. (Dude, DHL delivered a UPS delivery vehicle) i think its got great details, 4 opening doors (curb, bulkhead, 2 rear), comes with a pallet jack, flat pallet, cage pallet, many cardboard boxes, cargo net for the interior shelves...
The UPS man is a Bruder figure i already had.

Anyway, it's New, not Weird, and i'm not planning to change very much? However, i'm VERY stoked on that one!
--
Since it's a monitored fleet vehicle that avoids left turns,, doesn't back up unless into a loading bay, and makes constant stops... i'm liking the looks of this Light Controller with brakes, turn, and turns on auto-hazards when its stationary.
https://www.heyokperformance.com/The..._19974000.aspx

Ok maybe the Iveco is not *quite* as cool as the P600-P1200 sized Morgan-Olson, Grumman-Olson, Union City, or Utilimaster bodies, but i really liked the old Package Car nose.

Plus it gets me to stop wanting one of these.
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...et-stepvan-p30 GMC Stepvan
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...-body-delivery Generic stepvan

Last edited by frizzen; 06-13-2022 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Heyok. Fleet vehicle that doesn't match my fleet?
Old 06-06-2022, 04:46 PM
Journeyman

Yeah I have a Jada Camaro I got for parts for a project down the road..
That UPS truck is really cool racking inside...ups boxes...and already rc...sort of...
I saw the text down in the "test" section...

Last edited by jerry56; 06-06-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Default Trying to do this on the Cheap

Yeah jerry, did i ever mention i might have Project Attention Deficit Disorder? Hey lets go ride bikes...

The Ford has moved under its own power, so at least i know the RC Unibody conversion works. Bunch of stuff to finalize though. The magnetic and conductive part helps prevent lazy body and electrical work.

I don't know much of anything about woody wagons, they went out of production 30+ years before i came around. I also don't know the Surfer-culture that picked them up as used and redefined these things. I get the Hotroders, Resto-mod, and Factory restore stuff, this one just isn't about that life. So I'm open to tips, ideas, and corrections as we go along.

I'm having trouble learning much about what was a Period-Correct level of Accessories vs the Modern Carshow-style that often looks like a restored JC Whitney catalog puked all over it. May have to break down and watch a whole bunch of the 1960s 'Beach Party Movies' for research.

Any idea what's missing from the top-rack? The longboard looks a bit lonely up there.

I'm also still not sure what level of Neglect the car needs. It's a nicer steel body than i could make, but it's still really best to keep the eyes moving with this one.

This is about the nicest looking tutorial on making a Painted Woodie/Woody panels that i've found
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/t...station-wagon/

I'm pretty good with this grubby Blue that i have no touch-up paint for, but there are some really sharp Green or Grey wagons out there. Ya know, for as sexy as a 9-passenger Station Wagon gets.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:21 AM
Journeyman

I was going to suggest the "beach Party Movies".... get a little "Eric Von Zipper" inspiration...
I wasn't a "surfer Dude" either.....but as a theme suggestion ...
Most beach bums were broke so what ever the car looked like was fine as long as it got to the beach... a second board for the roof.... coolers, blankets (remember Beach Blanket Bingo... of course you don't LOL).... not much else... most of their money was in their boards not their cars....So what ever beater look you give it would be correct...

Last edited by jerry56; 06-12-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I picked up several wrong Testors paint colors, and randomly mixed some together. Kinda slopped it around on the body. Also touched some of the trim with metallic. (Really glad Testors still uses the smallest font in the world, so they can now hide a color name on the back panel in 3 languages!)

Now it's more colors than it was.

As it was flashing off, went back over to make sure it has plenty of horribly deep brush strokes in the lengthwise directions of the wood segments. That's for later though.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jerry, good call on those movies! Those are pretty funny.

I've been asking around other places for Beach/Surf accessory ideas too. (Seems important to start doing details before you finish cutting holes in the body or doing painting?) They added some other ideas like Beach Chair, Funky seatcovers, Big umbrella...

Also a guy put this in Highway Truck & Trailer instead of Static, so maybe it'll need to drag something on occasion?

Found a little "Canned Ham'' trailer that needed to hang out with my Teardrop and Standy trailers.
Need to make another Chair, and get some Fruity-drink Umbrellas.
Gotta decide some seat colors, also working on something to make the summer drives a little nicer

Found out there are a couple places doing these metal vehicles out of China and Turkey. 'Old Modern Handicraft' seems to be one of the big outfits, and actually has a catalog. Whole bunch of cars, trucks, also some single-axle trailers in Camper or Concession setups.
--
Concessions trailer? What you talking about?
http://blog.themousemarket.com/dollh...cone-tutorial/
http://blog.themousemarket.com/makin...lay-ice-cream/
http://easydiyminiatures.com/Printab...bar%201-02.jpg
"Sugar Rush" , "Sundae Driver" , "Winners get sprinkles", "Well i'll be dipped", "Time for a cold snack"

Last edited by frizzen; 06-26-2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Trailer teaser - Shasta IceCream
Old 06-19-2022, 12:00 PM
Journeyman

All you need is a "board and some tasty waves".....lol...
This is really coming along....your getting some nice detail....
Old 06-26-2022, 11:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah man, can't wait to get this board in some wicked gnar.

Boring RC wiring parts made, installed, some nuts jb weld to body. Servo tape some stuff.

Charge port, Big switch, Little switch.
Little switch is esc control. Big selects the Battery between Charge or Esc

Draw some fabrics into plaids like i did for my red VW Bay-window Transporter.
Spare tire Black or Whitewall?

How are your Ship-In-A-Bottle skills?

What about your 'ship in a bottle upholstery' skills?

Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night, i can see paradise by the dashboard light.

Last edited by frizzen; 07-06-2022 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Meatloaf
Old 06-26-2022, 03:13 PM
Journeyman

Pretty nice job on those seats....
Old 07-02-2022, 05:12 AM

paul.furnier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Jerry, good call on those movies! Those are pretty funny.

I've been asking around other places for Beach/Surf accessory ideas too. (Seems important to start doing details before you finish cutting holes in the body or doing painting?) They added some other ideas like Beach Chair, Funky seatcovers, Big umbrella...

Also a guy put this in Highway Truck & Trailer instead of Static, so maybe it'll need to drag something on occasion?

Found a little "Canned Ham'' trailer that needed to hang out with my Teardrop and Standy trailers.
Need to make another Chair, and get some Fruity-drink Umbrellas.
Gotta decide some seat colors, also working on something to make the summer drives a little nicer

Found out there are a couple places doing these metal vehicles out of China and Turkey. 'Old Modern Handicraft' seems to be one of the big outfits, and actually has a catalog. Whole bunch of cars, trucks, also some single-axle trailers in Camper or Concession setups.
--
Concessions trailer? What you talking about?
http://blog.themousemarket.com/dollh...cone-tutorial/[/url]
http://blog.themousemarket.com/makin...lay-ice-cream/
http://easydiyminiatures.com/Printab...bar%201-02.jpg
"Sugar Rush" , "Sundae Driver" , "Winners get sprinkles", "Well i'll be dipped", "Time for a cold snack"
A good advice
Old 07-06-2022, 09:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks jerry, i had liked the original seits being kinda Tuck&Roll, but the tiny plaid makes me happier.

Thanks paul, glad to have you along for the ride too

Teaser...

Or did i already spoil the dinner in another thread?
Old 07-14-2022, 01:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Man it's a hot one, like 7 inches from the midday sun...

Old 07-14-2022, 03:28 PM
Journeyman

Looks like it sizes pretty well with the Bruder figures.... and the giant flora LOL...