RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Farm Tractors and Implements

Farm Tractors and Implements Discussion of farm equipment

Old 04-18-2021, 05:48 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default OpenRC tractor, 1:10, JD remix of Ebro 160D

[Side note: if images don't load, see https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...7&postcount=16 ]

Had more free time lately, so I figured I'd liven things up a bit here and do up some picture threads of my builds vs actually building. Might give ideas to the next guy, might stimulate discussion for good ideas to change up this build or for the next one.

Bit of background: I've been building things of many sizes for years, ranging from scale models to RC vehicles to a 1.5ton ride-on backhoe with working hydraulics. I hate hydraulic fluid.

My usual builds are like half-fab or kit, half-3D print, and heavy on Arduinos and moving parts. See my

HEMTT (PLS) @ https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...d.php?p=170548
Forklift @ https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...d.php?p=170566
M1 Abrams @ https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...ad.php?t=13837

For a little variety, though, this one is somebody else's design, and most all 3D printed. And has no Arduinos and few LED's (but does have fun moving parts.)

The original design is from

http://makitpro.com/index.php/openrc-tractor/

Some bits of this particular build are "remixes", wherein somebody else has taken the original design, and made new parts that fit the original kit. I wanted a bit more modern style, so I used parts from

https://www.myminifactory.com/object...tractor-118258

and then did a few of my own (see below.)

It's a BUNCH of 3D printed parts, like the original even calls for printed tires (either out of hard plastic or flexible material, if you're equipped to do so)

Then the steering linkage, and some of the drive bits are metal, off-the-shelf threaded rod, rod ends, bearings, all Chinesium you get from Fleabay or AliExpress or Amazon. The motor and electronics are all regular RC stuff too, just small ones as you'd use on eg a Bruder conversion.

In the interest of simplicity (and because there is NO room under the hood) this one is 100% Arduino free =))

I opted for rubber tires instead of printing them, as I've not had a lot of experience with flexible filament and I like the realism of real tires. The rears are monster truck style, to get an appropriate agricultural-style tread, and the fronts are airplane tires so they're nice and skinny. In both cases the wheels are printed. The fronts actually came on wheels that I had to Dremel off, but they were white. It was easier to print a set to color match than to try and paint the white.

Under the hood, the RX (here, bottom left) goes up front between the headlights. The breadboard there is resistors for the head- and marker LED's (see below). Just takes power from the RX and then has the series current limiting resistors for the LED's.

The bronze-colored heatsink is the small ESC. Below it is a 9g servo for steering. The blue circuit board center bottom is the switch for the light bar (see below). The rest of the underhood space is taken up by the battery and the excessive, poorly run wiring

Hard to see, but the main drive gearmotor is center, below the battery connector. The two switches forward of the steering wheel are leftovers from conversions on my TX's; the long-lever one is the power switch and the other just looks pretty.

The monster truck tires in the rear were so wide that I had to CAD up wider fenders, which gave me the opportunity to add marker lights. They don't blink for turns (again, no Arduino), but add a bit of realism and fun.

Similarly, the headlights are on full-time, but the light bar and beacon up top are on a little switched MOSFET thing run off an auxiliary TX channel.

Because I'd done custom fenders, I had to CAD and print a custom ROPS, so I made it fold

which allows it to just BARELY fit into my conexes. It took careful adjusting of the rear wheel backspacing to allow this. There's like 2mm on each side of the tractor in the conex, and similar clearance inside the fenders between the tire and the tractor body.

One really clever thing on this -- and again, I can't take credit as it's not my design -- is that it's set up for implements in the rear. There's a pair of 9g servos under the seat, though you wouldn't know unless you were looking for them. These drive a pair of arms to lift the implement; there's also a center fixed arm, very much in the style of the 1:1 tractor hitches.

The one tricky thing is that since the servos face opposite each other, you need a servo reverser for one side along with a Y-cable, and it's hard to fit all of that into the tiny space. It's also hairy to get the servo horns aligned. I learned to do it with the fenders off and then glue the snot out of the printed bits that go onto the arms. Properly set up, a dial on the TX adjusts the lift servos up and down so the implement raises and lowers.

There's a number of different implements, some passive, like a rake, and some motorized, like the seed spreader you see above. It has a tiny little gear motor in the center driving the spiral fluted spread. It uses a similarly tiny ESC for that motor (the circuit board floating above the left lift arm that I haven't zip-tied down yet.) Because I could only fit the 6-channel RX in there, I ended up using the left stick on the TX to control the ESC for the spreader.

and that's as it sits with the spreader attached and hood snapped into place.

Last edited by dremu; 04-18-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OpenRC tractor, 1:10, JD remix of Ebro 160D

Neat looking little tractor!

Tractors are great for being "too cramped" in there. Would your radio allow for slaving the 3 point servos together on seperate channels with a 100% +/- offsets to do away with the reverser & y harness? Possibly with a normal/sport type of setting to allow switching between Lift mode and Rotate mode?

Great fit into the conex, that looks secure without much need for straps.

I'd kinda like to see those yellow fender lights do a slow flash, so you can tie up traffic on the way to a field in the dark
Old 04-19-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Neat looking little tractor!

Tractors are great for being "too cramped" in there. Would your radio allow for slaving the 3 point servos together on seperate channels with a 100% +/- offsets to do away with the reverser & y harness? Possibly with a normal/sport type of setting to allow switching between Lift mode and Rotate mode?

Great fit into the conex, that looks secure without much need for straps.

I'd kinda like to see those yellow fender lights do a slow flash, so you can tie up traffic on the way to a field in the dark
The TX might allow that; I dislike flying RC things as my experience with them was that they rapidly became crashing RC things. =)) Point being that there's a lot of options in there I haven't explored. The one problem is that I don't think I have any extra channels, without going to a 10-channel RX, which is physically larger. And the servo reverser is tiny, so it's mostly me whining

Anyway, the reverser does fit down there, I think it ended up between the seat and the steering wheel, inside the body, but it's fiddly. Would be better if I shortened some of those wires, too. Did I mention crappy wire management?

It is tempting to do an Arduino for lighting and whatnot. They're not large on their own (the one I'd use here is like 18x32mm), though putting a little enclosure around it to keep it from shorting on anything makes it a bit bigger. Just makes it more complicated, and as you might guess I'm nervous about projects snowballing.

Suppose I could put self-blinking LED's in the rear, but they sell the 5mm's by the bag of 100, so I had a lot of the regular ones left over :O
Old 04-19-2021, 03:49 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Or use a pair of Hitec HS 5065mg and the Hitec servo programmer to reverse one. It's the way I used them on my Delta loader conversion, then just use a Y cable.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
Or use a pair of Hitec HS 5065mg and the Hitec servo programmer to reverse one. It's the way I used them on my Delta loader conversion, then just use a Y cable.
Dang, I didn't know you could get quality servos in the micro size. I've been using the generic blue ones. This is not least because they came in a bag of ten and I had leftovers from whatever previous project, but good to know there's nice ones. I really don't like plastic geared servos, even where the load is negligible. I always seem to end up stripping the dang things by accident anyway and it's always the one that's hardest to get to =))