RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Self etching primer

I was wanting to know if I was going to use a self etching primer on a complete rolling chassis with plastic parts, would the primer ruin the plastic? I've never used the self etching primer before, and didn't want to take a chance of ruining the plastic parts.

Thanks, Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Self etching primer

Etching primer is the optimum on plastics and aluminium, brass, I have never had problems on plastics. Is not that strong concentration of acid in it, just enough for it to bite a bit into the surfaces (but keep it away from windows and other surfaces that are not supposed to be painted, as it can leave some traces when removed)
If one are going to use metallic top coat, one should seal off the etch primer with a standard primer first. The acid can react with the metal in the paint, corrosion.

Last edited by Rimrock; 03-10-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self etching primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post
Etching primer is the optimum on plastics and aluminium, brass, I have never had problems on plastics. Is not that strong concentration of acid in it, just enough for it to bite a bit into the surfaces (but keep it away from windows and other surfaces that are not supposed to be painted, as it can leave some traces when removed)
If one are going to use metallic top coat, one should seal off the etch primer with a standard primer first. The acid can react with the metal in the paint, corrosion.
Thank you for the information Rimrock! Now I can put my concerns behind me.

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!