RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:50 AM

Tanque is on a distinguished road
Default 1/10 scale heavy truck- power consumption...

I'm a relative newby when it comes to larger electric powered trucks. As you see from my other thread I've been working on the
Kaelble Z6W2A 130 heavy tractors. I've been testing the 2nd truck and fixing things as they come up. The diesel 'motor'
failed while testing- there's a reduction gearing inside and I had gone to a wonky solution to line up the motors with the output which
originally relied on a tiny 'idler' gear. This poor thing got the beejezzus kicked out of it and failed altogether bending the shaft it was on.
I rebuilt the motor to have a more robust, simpler gear train.

The aspect of these systems is power consumption. The two 55 turn motor just running as a pair draw about 1 amp with no load.The
best I can get my motor to do, without a load is about 2.5 amps. This is twin 55 turn performance motors turning a common drive gear.
and overall going through about a 10:1 reduction to the output. Just coupled to the transmission (using light air tool oil) in neutral the load now requires
between 4-5 amps and with various gears selected, driving just the two rear axles without lockers engaged the draw
goes up to 7+ amps.with lockers engaged driving all four rear wheels I'll often blow an 8 amp( fast acting) fuse...

I have to say that the power sent to the rear wheels in this model is impressive, I have already learned not to get my hands in the way..

I recognize a lot of these components are new, likely needing some break in but I figure if I'm actually driving and pulling a load the power requirements
will be even greater.

This why I like glow/ gas powered models! The logistics in many ways are simpler. Also it's not easy keep this thing cool!

I'd appreciate thoughts, insights on similar projects, size and weight wise. Your experience with heavier trucks would be appreciated.
Light trucks, 1/16 scale machines, buggies while I'm sure have their own challenges won't have a lot in common...

Jerry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/10 scale heavy truck- power consumption...

I have to say you're doing some very impressive engineering.

I'm surprised to see you're getting numbers that low. Based on my experience with my faster r/c cars, I spec'ed out my 1/14 truck on the assumption that a 15A battery master switch wouldn't be enough so I went with 30A. I haven't wired in a fuse yet, but would love to find out I could get away with something less than 10A.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Tanque is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the POV on the power usage, that makes me feel a bit better!

Here is a video of one of the tests I've done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPCXo-VQAJk

I had the model sitting on a 4x4 section.

Apologies for the poor quality of the video.

Jerry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:07 PM

Lord_Fabricator is on a distinguished road

I'm with Wombii here. My 1/10 trucks (Even the 4x4 ones) are regularly drawing 10-20A just moving. My 10x10 has a dual 100A ESC running the two motors (Combined 200A ESC for the drive). I haven't blown anything up in it yet, but since the entire drivetrain is steel from motor to wheel-hub...It probably will blow a motor before it hurts anything else.