RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM

crazy4yachts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Liebherr LTM1800 scale 1/24

Man I love cranes this is one amazing model what a gift you have. I remember seeing a one off on ebay it was huge I think it was either a 1/4 scale or 1/8 but it was really big. I think the guy was asking 75K and he would come to the buyers house and assemble it for free. Anyway nice work you are doing a awesome job !

Crazy4yachts
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Getting there. I am finishing off some details on the derrick mast.

kerst

Last edited by kerst; 10-10-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Wow, that boom foot-section looks great! Very complicated fitting and soldering that many pieces together. Keep up the fine work.

Ken
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Apprentice

A month later.
After the soldering of the derrick mast was done, I cleaned it all up and started on all the hardware, like sheaves, pendants, etc. that was quite a bit of work, not difficult, but fiddly. I made the pendants of 1/8” square steel bar with the ends brazed on. Most of the hardware is done and soon I will be able to put it together and try it out!
Here some pictures:

Kerst
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Apprentice

I had enough time this weekend to put it all together. There are still quite a few details to finish, but this is a great opportunity to make a list and see what needs to be adjusted or fixed.

Kerst
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM

Southgate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerst View Post
I had enough time this weekend to put it all together. There are still quite a few details to finish, but this is a great opportunity to make a list and see what needs to be adjusted or fixed.
Kerst
It's quite a process, isn't it! I just spent last night remotoring one of my drums, and turning an internal piece that mounts them better and doing other little tweaks to improve operation. So I know what you mean. I'm sure eveyone on this forum does.

That mast is just beautiful. It would make an awesome load on a lowboy trailer with a counterweight or two. Well everything is beautiful! The herkiness of this whole machine is incredible.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM

Pippoe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Liebherr LTM1800 scale 1/24

Impressive crane!

Great job. A real eye-catcher.

Cheers

Pip
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the nice words.
It is quite a milestone and I found myself just staring at it for a long time during the weekend, just taking in the result after about 6 years of work.
I took it down again and I can start finishing the missing details.

Kerst
Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerst View Post
Thanks for the nice words.
It is quite a milestone and I found myself just staring at it for a long time during the weekend, just taking in the result after about 6 years of work.
I took it down again and I can start finishing the missing details.

Kerst
There are some interesting parallels goin' on here. I've been on my crane for 6 years, I am at about the same stage of completion, and, I sometimes stare at it, especially against strong back light. Is that wierd? (mine's posted in construction eqiopment) I hafta say, watching you make progress on yours makes me wanna go work on mine! Dan
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM

Kerst, I have a question for you. I have seen your crane run on Youtube. It runs great, but I noticed you don't have variable speed control. Is that something you'd be interested in doing, and have plans for? When my crane was tethered, I used a modified MRC model railroad power pack to operate, and it's nice to have the variable speeds. If you're interested, I can talk you through building up a pack. Building a battery powered pack is not difficult either. Dan
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southgate View Post
Kerst, I have a question for you. I have seen your crane run on Youtube. It runs great, but I noticed you don't have variable speed control. Is that something you'd be interested in doing, and have plans for? When my crane was tethered, I used a modified MRC model railroad power pack to operate, and it's nice to have the variable speeds. If you're interested, I can talk you through building up a pack. Building a battery powered pack is not difficult either. Dan
For my cranes I designed a control box from where I can control all electrical functions, both for the carrier as for the crane.
I have some variable speed control using a mechanical resistor speed control. This works well with the bigger motors, like the carrier motor, but has very limited effect on the smaller motors, which I use for the winches.
This is an area I always struggle with and I am open for ideas.

Thanks,

Kerst
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM

If you go back to my crane's history, you'll see I had built my controls into an MRC power packj. It has transistorized throttle. A transistor controls VOLTAGE, whereas a mechanical resistor (rheostat. if it's variable) limits CURRENT. The prob with that is if the winches use a very small amount of current, the rheostat doesnt limit it enough, or do so consistently under varying loads.

A transistor control is really easy to make, and inexpensive. I have a box of stuff, enough to experiment with so I can go make a test circuit and give ya a rundown on how to build one up for your crane.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Hey, Kerst. I finally got some time to sit down and play with electronics. The question now is, do you want to set up separate speed controls for each function? Or you could set up one speed control for the carrier and separate speeds for each function of the upper. Can do anything, really. I'd recommend at least each drum has it's own speed control. That way you can walk the hook when booming up, etc.

Each speed control will require a 25K ohm linear taper potentiometer, and a 1000 ohm resistor, and a TIP 120 transistor. You obviousely know how to wire DPDT switches for direction. Adding the speed controls is pretty easy.

I can draw up the schematic for just the speed controllers and let you adapt them, or i can draw it up for the whole complete power pack.

Pot:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...tEa96VlWu4c%3d

Transistor:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FOxXz1dSDIw%3d

Resistors
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...52bdlQPAamo%3d

I found this source online, but I recon you probably have well stocked electronics stores there in NY. The pots will probably be the hardest to find, the transistors and resistors are really common items.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southgate View Post
Hey, Kerst. I finally got some time to sit down and play with electronics. The question now is, do you want to set up separate speed controls for each function? Or you could set up one speed control for the carrier and separate speeds for each function of the upper. Can do anything, really. I'd recommend at least each drum has it's own speed control. That way you can walk the hook when booming up, etc.

Each speed control will require a 25K ohm linear taper potentiometer, and a 1000 ohm resistor, and a TIP 120 transistor. You obviousely know how to wire DPDT switches for direction. Adding the speed controls is pretty easy.

I can draw up the schematic for just the speed controllers and let you adapt them, or i can draw it up for the whole complete power pack.

Pot:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...tEa96VlWu4c%3d

Transistor:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FOxXz1dSDIw%3d

Resistors
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...52bdlQPAamo%3d

I found this source online, but I recon you probably have well stocked electronics stores there in NY. The pots will probably be the hardest to find, the transistors and resistors are really common items.
Thanks a lot for all this info! It is very helpful!
I found a used MRC power pack on eBay and i am going to experiment with that first.
At the moment I am struggling with the slip rings. One of the circuits is not working and so I took it all apart and am considering to rebuilt the whole thing and make it more dependable. But I will be away for the Holidays so it going to be January before I get to it.

kerst
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM

What is a slip ring? Is it electrical? Guess what. I used an MRC Power pack to make my controller when my crane was tethered! It works well. That's basically the circuit I copied in making up these parts lists, and a controller that is used in my upper unit.

I put my paddle switches in the MRC box, and wired them to a cat 5 phone jack. That only allows for 4 functions though, just the upper unit. I still plan to use it on another project. The ammeter on the right unplugs and pulls out. The pack can also be hooked up to a battery pack so plugging it in is optional. Handy at shows.

Spaghetti, anyone?

Cat 5 plug keeps it clean. The power cord was cut down to just the plug, too. No cord to drag around when its hooked up to the battery pack.

Last edited by Southgate; 12-14-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Apprentice

I am still working on the slip ring. There was a short somewhere in the slip ring and i couldn't find it. I worked on it for hours and in the end I decided to replace a few parts and in the process I made a better setup for the plugs. I am still waiting for some parts before I can put in together again. Hopefully it is going to work!

I bought a MRC POWER PACK 1370 transformer and that is a great improvement. It gives excellent speed control. I haven't tested it on the bigger motors under load, but I think it will be up for the challenge.
After the Christmas break I am going to integrate it all.

Kerst
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM

I can't quite figure out how those components work.

I used these pogo pins riding on a series of rings cut into a sheet of copper clad (used for printed circuit) If you think these pins could be useful, I have plenty to share.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Scottyboy436 is on a distinguished road

Thats a fantastic model crane
What thickeness of string you using ?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

I love this build keep up the great Work!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Apprentice

Lately I have been busy with finishing lots of details, including installing the lights and finishing the carrier cab. It is quite a challenge to find space for all the wires as you can see.

Kerst