RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

No doubt some members here will probably remember seeing this build before. It's been on other forums, and it's still not complete, even after all the time that has passed.

I started building this truck a few years ago, and it was my first Wedico purchase. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into at that point. The build started off well enough, but I slowly ran into a bit of a 'creative builder's block'. To explain that further, there were certain things about the Wedico Peterbilt that I wanted to change and problems that I wanted to correct. Yes, you are hearing me right, they aren't perfect models! Some things would be easy to fix, some not so easy. I assembled the truck as far as I could, and then decided I needed to come up with some solutions to my problems, if I was to truly be happy with the model.

Here's a quick summary of the build, in the earlier days. Many things have already changed, so this is a story of evolution.

Starts with a bare frame and a 3 speed transmission. In the rear, the chassis already has a change from stock. Wedico trucks come with individual leaf spring suspensions, for each axle, which is not the greatest of set-ups. I immediately swapped that out for an aftermarket suspension, produced by Osswald.

Osswald walking beam spring packs.

Close up of the rear walking beam suspension mount.

Spring packs and the 4 links for the axles.

Tandem drive axles, with the 4 links installed, and ready to be installed onto the chassis.

Put it all together and this is what you get.

Great performance and a nice scale look to boot.

About the same time, I bolted up the front axle. I had planned from the beginning to make the truck a 6x6. The front Wedico leaf springs would later be swapped out for Osswald's front suspension too.

Then it was time for some wheels!

It can never be to scale!