RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:33 PM

PilotJesse is on a distinguished road
Default Wedico Peterbilt Day Cab

I've always wanted to build a Wedico Peterbilt, but have found out recently that the Peterbilt kits are not available from Wedico anymore. So I started my search for a previously owned one. Ric at Precision Model Distributers graciously gave me the opportunity to buy one of his. After a long wait, here's the starting point. I have a lot of plans for this truck, with lots of custom parts and lots of modifications!

Last edited by PilotJesse; 10-19-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Wedico Peterbilt Day Cab

First Step: Start rear-end disassembly

Old 10-19-2021, 04:42 PM

Ordered and installed Wedico quarter fenders. I like the look of these over the full fenders. They need some modification, but they'll do for now. The stock spring suspension isn't very realistic... it will have to go!

Old 10-19-2021, 05:00 PM

Well the stock spring suspension had to go! I ordered a walking spring suspension from Ric at PMD. When it arrived, I did a quick test-fit. YIKES. Not what I had in mind. Might be suitable for trucks in Europe, but did not look at all like a Peterbilt suspension. Another item that needed to go was the stock Wedico fifth wheel. A lot of stock Wedico/Tamiya trailers sit up too high for my liking, and do not look right to me. I want this truck to look as realistic as I can, while still functioning. So I ordered a ScaleArt fifth wheel. Waited a long time for it, but I am very happy with the reduced height and quality of the engineering of this one. More on the fifth wheel situation later!

Old 10-19-2021, 05:10 PM

I tried and tried to convince myself to buy a suspension that was already designed, built, and ready to install. Nothing that I could find fit the bill. I decided on an airbag suspension, and the only one I could find out there was from Lesu. Can't be putting Chinese junk on a fine piece of German engineering! I was left with only one option... design and build it myself. This project is already turning into more than I bargained for, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Came up with this design based on the Peterbilt Low Leaf air ride suspension. The parts will have to be 3D printed, but with the high quality of metal (yes, I said metal!!) printing, I am not worried about putting poor-quality printed parts on a high quality model. Lots more to do!

Old 10-19-2021, 05:14 PM

Well the first run of parts look amazing. I could not be happier with the quality of these printed parts. They are printed out of brass.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:16 PM

The excitement is building. Cannot believe how well these parts turned out. I only ordered enough for one axle, just in case I messed up with my design.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

What does something like that cost for printing? I have some parts that if I can get time to draw, that need made.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:13 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Printed metal, that looks awesome!

Wonder what the ratio is compared to actual brass?

Joe
Old 10-20-2021, 11:45 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

That truck is looking a lot better already.

Cool looking printed brass parts
Old 10-20-2021, 09:23 PM

I had these 10 parts (half of the total rear suspension) printed for total cost of around $200. I'm not sure what percentage of the part is actual brass, I will weigh the spring hangar and figure out density, and compare. They are heavy so I would say they are mostly (if not 100%) brass. I ordered some brass flat stock and it arrived today, so I cut and bent the lower leaf springs. I am not a machinist and this was my first time bending metal. Took me a few tries but I'm pleased how they turned out. They still need a little bit of finishing.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:25 PM

And of course, had to do a mock-up... I think it's going to look great! Disregard the Wedico walking spring hangar, that will be removed.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I forgot a word in my last post, wonder what the strength ratio is compared to actual brass?

The detail that came from the print is incredible, I can't recall any cnc machining that good on something so small. It's great to see how much technology has improved this specific hobby over the last 26yrs.

Joe
Old 10-21-2021, 11:57 AM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road

Hi Jesse, nice to see a Wedico model again. You are serious about the detailing, so it is going to look very nice.

On the German forum there is one that build a Wedico Peterbilt years ago, and is currently rebuilding it. He has put all the original photos back in the topic, and one of the outstanding things he is currently doing in placing ribbets on the model. He has drilled 1500 holes and placed all the ribbets in there. You can see pictures of this on the last pages of the topic.

https://www.modelltruckforum.de/foru...lt-von-wedico/

About the 3D printed metal, the strength and density is almost the same. We have tested with vacuum parts, and the results are very good. There are some materials already certifeid for medical implants, the demands are very high here.

For instance reconstruction of the jawbone after an accident. They make a 3D scan of the face and reconstruct missing bone with printed implants.

The development is already on a very high level, we are printing in Stainless steel 304 and Titanium. We have two metal printers, but the process is cumbersome and expensive. Results are very promissing though.

Good luck with the build, your air ride suspension is very nice.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:26 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Are these parts you had made from Shapeways? I have had several brass pieces made by them. If you are not aware of it, they are not 'printed' brass, they are cast using the lost wax method. Shapeways uses the 3d file (.stl) you send them to print the part in wax then use the wax print to make a plaster mold. Brass is then melted and poured in the mold to make the part. While Shapeways does print some metals, their brass parts are cast.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:50 AM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road

As far as I know all brass parts are made with the lost wax method, not just at Shapeways.

Printing copper and its alloys is very difficult, as is laser cutting and welding it.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotJesse View Post

That replacement 5th wheel looks a lot gooder than the stock 5th wheel plate did!

They are printed out of brass.
Did you have to get a special noxxle to 3D print those? Would you please share a link to buy that brass filament. What temperature does it print at? Can a standard 3D printer print with this material? I'm very interested in experimenting with this stuff!
Old 10-24-2021, 06:57 PM

Thanks guys. The parts are from Shapeways, and sure enough, they are lost wax cast. Did not realize that until now! They are very high quality, and I am excited to use them. I plan on using parts like this to really hone in on the authentic Peterbilt look. This will be a slow build but I want to do it right!
Old 10-25-2021, 05:41 PM

Well... things don't always work out the way I plan! Designed and had "printed" a more realistic Peterbilt tow hook for the front bumper. Doesn't look proportional at all. Like all the other parts, I used pictures from Google and scaled the parts based on known dimensions, and looks like I was slightly off on this one. Going to go find some real dimensions, and back to the drawing board.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:15 PM

Started looking at it closer and did some more scaling from pictures I had saved. Actually seems to be about right based on real dimensions. I was a few hundredths of an inch off, but I'd say that's within the margin of error. Test fit it on the truck with the old bumper still installed. Tow hook will eventually be painted black and will have a tow pin installed. What do y'all think? Let it ride or re-design? I'm on the fence.