RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Green Horn

Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Nathan my friend, what can I say?

This truck is absolutely beautiful, even un-finished. Your attention to detail, along with your fab skills, is amazing. I have still yet to figure out how you narrowed that axle tho. I'm only seeing one seam on it. Care to share?

My other truck is a Komatsu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Rick! I really appreciate that. Here are the details on the lift axle mods.

What I did was mill two notches or 'steps' into the center section of the axle. I did not cut the axle in half, but rather milled a notch on one side, flipped the axle and milled a second notch. Where the notches met in the middle, the axle became two pieces. Once the halves are over lapped, the axle is effectively narrowed.

I drilled some holes through the modified center section, and tapped the lower holes for some 3mm screws. When assembled, the two 'stepped halves' of the axle seat against each other, and the 3mm screws just keep the halves solid.

Now what I didn't think about was how I would make an upper link mount, and how I would secure that to the axle as well. Originally I thought I'd bolt a mount to the top or bottom of the axle, but I wanted to keep it really clean looking. So I went back and milled the center keyway into both axle halves. Then I machined the 4 link mount to match the keyway. When it's all assembled, the mount is totally captured in all directions and it's solid as can be, even though the screws do not pass through it. The whole assembly is 'lightly' press fit together and very strong.

Hope this gives you some ideas! If you have any questions, let me know!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I like it Nathan I just may have to get a wedico front for the next steerable I do when I made mine I didn't have the mill yet

Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Hey thanks Steve. You know, I was thinking this idea would work just as well with a Tamiya steer axle too. They are pretty similar to the Wedico steer axle. No reason why it couldn't be done also!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Nathan my friend, what can I say?

This truck is absolutely beautiful, even un-finished. Your attention to detail, along with your fab skills, is amazing.
Do I really need to say it again?

Thanks for the inside look at this. Should be a bombproof design.

P.S. Your photo skills are just as impressive as your building skills. It really makes it a pleasure to watch your updates.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Nathan , the tamiya axle does not have the center drop like the wedico thats why I did what I did on my Paystar . It came out alright just need better links .

Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

i just cant beleive the skill in this hobby. its a fun build to watch, plus great pictures and explanations.

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Nathan wonderful job the way you sandwich that together. I had to take a second look look because I was looking for a plate but after taking a second look I see were you have one side of the axle milled so it's is the top for the other side good thinking. Ed
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Just found this build. WOW!! Your attention to detail is amazing! What do you have planned for it next?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
Do I really need to say it again?

Thanks for the inside look at this. Should be a bombproof design.

P.S. Your photo skills are just as impressive as your building skills. It really makes it a pleasure to watch your updates.
Rick, my friend, thanks. I appreciate that. I do enjoy taking pictures as well, but not as much as building trucks. I can't wait to share some really good pictures of the truck, when completed, sitting in a more natural setting. Hopefully it will make some people do a double take. I'm not a professional photographer, but I am learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder
Nathan , the tamiya axle does not have the center drop like the wedico thats why I did what I did on my Paystar . It came out alright just need better links .
Steve, it's been a long time since I had a Tamiya. I thought they also used a drop axle. My mistake. If you are looking for some better links, I'd suggest you buy some Traxxas rod ends, with balls inserted, and then simply use some thread rod, with a sleeve to make the link itself. Or just cut some small round bar to the correct length on your lathe, drill and tap the end for 3mm set screws, and then thread the Traxxas rod ends onto that. I used to make all kinds of 4 links for my RC monster trucks that way. They are beefy, look good, are very functional, and aren't all that expensive. I think your lift axle turned out well. Now that you have a mill though, and those skills of your's, I bet you could machine your own drop axle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker yanker
i just cant beleive the skill in this hobby. its a fun build to watch, plus great pictures and explanations.
You and me both! A lot of highly talented guys on this forum and I can just sit for hours drooling over the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER
Nathan wonderful job the way you sandwich that together. I had to take a second look look because I was looking for a plate but after taking a second look I see were you have one side of the axle milled so it's is the top for the other side good thinking. Ed
Ed, thank you. Yes, I managed to make the lift axle look almost like a solid piece. If it wasn't for the seams, which can barely be seen, it would look like a factory axle. Once painted, it probably will look factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat
Just found this build. WOW!! Your attention to detail is amazing! What do you have planned for it next?
Thanks! I have a lot of ideas just bouncing around inside my head! I don't always make the fastest progress, but updates will come little by little. I am thinking about ditching the Wedico transmission for a planetary gearmotor, and an RC4WD transfer case. My friend Rick, aka Rogue, turned me onto these gearmotors. I think I will give it a shot. I also want to make this truck as scale and realistic as possible, so there is a lot of detail to add, and a lot of custom machined parts I would like to do up! I guess I'm pushing myself to reach the bar that has already been set high by so many other guys on this forum!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 PM

yea I got the hole link assm from traxxas . as for machining my own ,thou shalt not jest with the mill the parts are endless actually after the paystar is done I'll be on my equipment . I been itching to start a couple and a gp38 in 1;14 1st of all finish the pay scrapers

Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

A very detailed chassis! Really enjoy your workmanship, but especially the innovative ways to address problems or changes you want to make. Looking forward to seeing more!

Ken
Old 09-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

WOW Nate this is going to be a great looking truck it is as close to perfect as you can get with the details.. I am not a wedico guy but man what a nice rig.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 PM

mog is on a distinguished road

wow that's really nice got any idea what your going to do for paint you seam to have every thing els figger out.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 AM

bucshott is on a distinguished road

Very impressive.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucshott View Post
Very impressive.
Thanks Rick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT View Post
Yep TC, you said it, one very impressive model, well done mate.
Sandy
Tim, thanks for the kind words. If it turns out half as detailed as your trucks have, it will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog View Post
wow that's really nice got any idea what your going to do for paint you seam to have every thing els figger out.
Thanks Mog. I'm not real sure on the color yet. And not quite everything is figured out yet. There is a lot of thought to put into this truck yet, and I'm actually engineering and machining what I need, on the fly. But I am taking my time, so I do a lot of thinking along the way. My mind is usually thinking two steps ahead of what my hands are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
WOW Nate this is going to be a great looking truck it is as close to perfect as you can get with the details.. I am not a wedico guy but man what a nice rig.
Thanks Paul! It means a lot to me, since you are one of the top builders here. And most ambitious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
A very detailed chassis! Really enjoy your workmanship, but especially the innovative ways to address problems or changes you want to make. Looking forward to seeing more!

Ken
Thanks Ken! More updates coming soon!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Okay fellas, I have been working slowly on putting together a new drivetrain for the Peterbilt. I have no problem with the Wedico 3 speed, but space is tight on this model, and I'd like to have more room for other features. Thanks go out to my friend Rick, who introduced me to the compact and tough as nails Banebots planetary gearboxes. He was one of the first guys to use one on a truck and it looked perfect for my intentions! I'm giving up a 3 speed transmission for a single speed that is stronger and smaller, which is a big help. I really want to keep the interior of the cab, and the Banebots gearbox, with a standard 540 motor will entirely fit beneath the cab floor.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone tearing up a Wedico 3 speed in a truck application, but they have had some failures in the heavier Wedico 966G Cat. If we take a peak inside, just because I like seeing how things work, we can see some plastic gears and a belt drive reduction.

Other then the plastic gears and the belt, everything else does look pretty beefy, but for now, the trans is being pushed off to the side for this....

I've got a Novak 55 turn motor, mounted to the Banebots P60 planetary box. It's running a 20:1 reduction and feeds my new transfer case, from RC4WD. I did the math for calculating the gearing and I should end up with the truck being about as fast as it would be in 2nd gear, if I used the 3 speed trans. If I run a little more then 12 volts, I should pick up a little more speed, or I can always swap the motor to a 45 turn. Something I couldn't do with the Wedico trans, as you are stuck running a Buhler motor, wether or not you like it. Can't change the pinion gears either, at least not without some custom machining.

I did have to turn down the output shaft on the planetary box. As it comes, it's about .5" in diameter! Huge. I turned it down to a more common 5mm size and milled a flat on the shaft for the set screw to grab.

Here's a picture of the internals. This is only one stage of reduction. The 20:1 box uses two stages, but this is what it looks like. Just add another stage of planetary gears behind the other, and you'll have it. You can also see the shaft I turned down more clearly. It was huge! The bearings that support it are also monsters. It was intended for robots, so it can take some serious load.

Another picture, showing how it goes together.

Finally, one shot of the RC4WD transfer case I will be using. It's a 1:1 ratio, so it provides no reduction, but it looks really scale, and cool. Intended for scale rock crawlers or trail trucks, but it will be right at home inside the Wedico. I just need to machine up some mounting brackets for both the transfer case and the planetary gearbox, and I'll be all set.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Wow love the eye candy them killers are works of art.. Very nice build Nate..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Green Horn

Once again Nathan, i'm humbled by your work. How can I possibly step away from this hobby, when I have someone like you to keep my sights set on?

Killer looking combination you put together.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank Paul. Yes, the Killer Transfer case is a beaut. I can't wait to get mounted between the frame rails. And maybe, just maybe, actually drive the chassis around! lol

Rick, I'm glad you decided to keep your Wedico. If I can somehow inspire you to keep at it, then I am only returning the favor you did me. If it wasn't for you sharing the Banebot gearboxes, I wouldn't have as cool of a ride here, now would I? Apparently we both keep putting each other's trucks in the cross hairs.