RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
WOW Nathan nice router work!, and what? no jigs or templates to boot! Must be that calibrated eye!. All seriouness aside, it looks very good and I can't wait to see it move a little faster, I mean done! Just one thing I'd like to see some one do is put rubber fender extensions on the front fenders when running super singles. Ok enough of my 2 cents. Keep up the great progress!
Thank you Kent. Actually, I don't own a router either, otherwise maybe..... I don't think anyone wants to see this project done more then I do. I've been working on it for such a long time now, but I've gained some momentum back. I just have to keep it rolling. I'm doing a little every day, when I can, but more so on weekends. That's when I seem to have the most time to play with things. Funny you mention the rubber fender extensions, because it is on the list of things to do, but that list is quite long at the moment! Maybe what I need, to put the pressure on me, is a feline supervisor, like you have!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Holy ..........those steps are out of this world!! Watching eagerly.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGER View Post
Holy ..........those steps are out of this world!! Watching eagerly.
Thanks Swagger. The tool boxes are coming along nicely. I'm a bit surprised at how well they are turning out, actually. I had a vision in my head and it's becoming a reality. I am really getting into this machining!

So, a small update. I've been finding the time before work each day to do a little more on the boxes. The last two days I've been working on the steps, which will bolt up to the tool boxes. The side members are all done! It was a tedious process to machine such small parts. I did run with the 0-80 screws, which seem about perfect for the task of holding things together. I'm glad I didn't go smaller. I think these are the smallest I would want to try and use for a build like this. They are so tiny! Drilling and tapping went without a hitch. I also milled the side members and gave them the proper angle on their face, to match the 1:1 boxes. These little buggers are really taking the time to make. I think I have 15 hours of work in them.

Pictures of the last couple days of work.

I think I'm on a machining high right now! Still more to do. I need to make the tool box doors themselves, and drill and tap a few more holes to bolt the steps to the boxes. Also, the top tread plate is still not bolted down either. This should be a simple job, after accomplishing today's work.

Last edited by Espeefan; 03-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road

Nice work and attention to detail.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

great job nate "I think I'm on a machining high right now!" It doesn't take long does it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Roadmasters is on a distinguished road

Those steps look outstanding. Why not countersink the screws though?

Next East Coast Minitruckers Meet:

Arioch
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

WOW! Very nice for sure.. Probie on the real ones some brands have alum rivets in the areas that he has the screws.. I like the look it is a nice touch..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Turned out real nice Nathan, those screws look good!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguyfarms View Post
Nice work and attention to detail.
Thanks Scott. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
great job nate "I think I'm on a machining high right now!" It doesn't take long does it
No, Steve, really all it takes is to have some success with the things a guy wants to machine, and when they turn out good, it makes a guy feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmasters View Post
Those steps look outstanding. Why not countersink the screws though?
Thanks Archie. Yeah, I'm on the fence about counter sinking the screws. I really wanted to do it, but the material is quite thin at the edge. Only about .0625" room there, and the flat heads I wanted to use would have hung over the edge, which is no good. I can still counter sink the heads of these socket head screws, but there will be .007" or so meat left, which isn't much. Not sure if I'll do it. I want to polish the parts, and a .007" lip would probably tear out on me, ruining the part. I could counter sink the holes after polishing though. We'll see. The real steps have bolts or rivets that show as well, although they are not quite as pronounced. Sometimes you have to compromise. I still think the steps look good. Once on the truck, the screws might be less noticable and I wouldn't have to worry about it. The heads look bigger right now because there is nothing else to compare them too. The small 2mm screws used everywhere else on the chassis are huge compared to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
WOW! Very nice for sure.. Probie on the real ones some brands have alum rivets in the areas that he has the screws.. I like the look it is a nice touch..
Thanks Paul. I'm kind of liking the screws too, but I'll make a decision once these are done and on the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Turned out real nice Nathan, those screws look good!
Thanks Kent. Almost finished with these things. Then it's onto the the next set of parts. Some nicer fuel tank saddles, if I am capable!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Nathan those are the best steps i've seen great job the only thing missing are one slam locks

Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossett View Post
Nathan those are the best steps i've seen great job the only thing missing are one slam locks
Thanks Tracy. I'm actually working on the doors with lock details. Have to see what I can up with. These aren't quite finished yet.

Last edited by Espeefan; 03-23-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: I can't run a keyboard.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

Nathan, this build is the boom daddy. Those steps look great and are totally unique. I'm impatient to see the finished article.
Have you considered half counter sinking the screws? They wouldn't stick out so much and there would still be enough material for it all to be secure. You could even mill the protruding part of the screw off at a later date. Just a hare-brained idea.

My Peterbilt build thread:
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Stepside will become famous soon enough

Youre wasting no time breaking in that mill!! Love the custom parts, looking forward to seeing more.

How will they mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Thanks Archie.
that's too funny! Its actually Arioch, but I like Archie

Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

WOW love the steps!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Nathan, this build is the boom daddy. Those steps look great and are totally unique. I'm impatient to see the finished article.
Have you considered half counter sinking the screws? They wouldn't stick out so much and there would still be enough material for it all to be secure. You could even mill the protruding part of the screw off at a later date. Just a hare-brained idea.
Hey, thanks Nick. I appreciate the comments. Yes, I've been looking at different ideas to counter sink or remove part of the screw heads as well. I've got a few different options. We'll see how it goes. I'll make a decision based on how they look on the truck, mounted up. I may find that I need not worry about it all that much. The screws might just blend in and disappear. I always appreciate the construstive criticism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside View Post
Youre wasting no time breaking in that mill!! Love the custom parts, looking forward to seeing more.

How will they mount?
Thanks Rod. Speaking of breaking in the mill, the spindle bearings needed to changed out middle of this week! I wore them out already, I guess! Actually, from new, the lower bearing had this small click in it, which got worse the more I ran the mill. I installed some high quality bearings, and now the mill runs quieter and smoother then it did from new. It's amazing the difference they make. The original bearings were garbage, but I can't complain. I knew I was buying a cheap China mill.

Anyway, the tool boxes will mount up pretty readily, from the rear. I think I'm just going to drill and tap some holes and bolt them to the frame rails. Easy and clean. The screws will be hidden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside View Post

that's too funny! Its actually Arioch, but I like Archie
Argh! Arioch, I apologize! I'm not good with names! No harm intended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
WOW love the steps!!
Thank you dabears. I think da steps are pretty cool too.

Okay fellas, I've got just a small update here. This will be all for the weekend edition. I'm needing to order up some more end mills and a little more material, but I did get a start on designing and machining up a couple extra mystery parts for the Wedico. I won't say what they are yet. They are in a pretty raw state. For a hint, there are two parts per plate.

The smart guys will probably figure it out! Any guesses?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

A flux capacitor?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

I bet I'm close!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road

The steps look amazing! It's amazing how much work can go into one part. I have broken off small taps and drills and it is not fun. I understand about being fearful of breaking off a tap. Although somewhat larger than a small tap, I recently broke a 1/8 carbide end mill off and was able to "drill" it out with an expensive OmegaDrill tap drill. It worked great. Unlike the last time I drilled to drill out a broken tap where I ended up trying various other drills and endmills that only resulted in making them dull.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanisle View Post
The steps look amazing! It's amazing how much work can go into one part. I have broken off small taps and drills and it is not fun. I understand about being fearful of breaking off a tap. Although somewhat larger than a small tap, I recently broke a 1/8 carbide end mill off and was able to "drill" it out with an expensive OmegaDrill tap drill. It worked great. Unlike the last time I drilled to drill out a broken tap where I ended up trying various other drills and endmills that only resulted in making them dull.
Thank's Richard, didn't know they existed http://omegadrill.com/

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGER View Post
A flux capacitor?
I'm a big fan of Back To The Future, so I appreciate the humor, but I don't think this truck will hit 88mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
I bet I'm close!
If you are thinking what I am thinking, quite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanisle View Post
Thank you Vanisle. I admire your work too, so your comment means something to me. I've never heard of Omegadrills before. Very cool. I've yet to break a tap, thankfully. I don't know that there is an Omegadrill small enough for the sizes I have been using. How small do these 7 piece sets go? Might actually be handy for some of the work I do at my day job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Thank's Richard, didn't know they existed http://omegadrill.com/

Cheer's, Neil.
Thanks for sharing the link! Definitely worth a look.