RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:33 PM

klump is on a distinguished road
Default MFC 3pin JST plug question

First post here and hoping to get some help as I'm new to RC truck building. Recently finish my first truck, Grand Hauler and I want to wire up my dump trailer using the MFC J9 port, IT's a three pin JST, but are there different types of JST connectors?
After Googling it looks like there are different types, anyone know what type is used on the MFC?

Thanks,
Klump
Old 11-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MFC 3pin JST plug question

Klump:

I don't about the MFC J9 port, but I've been down the JST rabbit hole myself a couple of times - mostly looking for plugs for CNC projects and 3D printer cable modifications. Have you got some pictures of the plugs/sockets that you're trying to mate up to? Dimensions are also a big help, especially the pin center-to-center spacing - as there are different pitches for the pins. The most common spacing is 0.1", this could also be listed as 2.54mm. (Depends on if you're Metrically or Imperially challenged.)

If you're going to get the crimpers for these connectors, and I recommend that you do, DO NOT get any that claim to be suitable for both JST/Dupont connectors. I've got two different sets of crimpers that will cut the ends off of JST terminals every time, but work just fine on Dupont terminals. When you compare the crimping dies you can see that the Dupont terminal and the JST terminal are two completely different animals.

Don
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MFC 3pin JST plug question

If I'm looking at the same thing, it looks like J8/J9/J10 are standard servo connectors, compatible with what's called the dupont connectors. They also look like they're actual servo outputs, with J9 being servo output for motorized support legs on the MFC-01 and MFC-03.