RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:55 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wedico Peterbilt Day Cab

That grill will look a lot nicer than the old one. What mods will you make to the cab ?
Old 01-21-2022, 11:56 AM

PilotJesse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpipespete View Post
That grill will look a lot nicer than the old one. What mods will you make to the cab ?
Nothing major, some extra holes... and a "few" rivets. I've been studying the Modelltruck forum thread that trilliwilli sent. I love the way the rivets make the Wedico cab look more realistic on his truck.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:47 AM

Following in Espeefan's footsteps, I got the front axle milled down by a local machine shop to lower the front end. Wish I had the equipment to do it myself, but unfortunately I just don't have the space right now.

The front of the truck had a better ride height, but still was a little bit too high, so I made an adjustment with the front leaf springs and I think we've got her!

Ran into a little snag with the grille design, turns out the company that was going to cut it for me didn't have a machine that was precise enough for those little tiny holes. I did design it to be almost exactly a scaled down of the OEM grille, and I'm thinking that it might not have looked good anyway. Some design aspects don't scale very well. Still going for the OEM look, but will have to redesign.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:53 AM

Started toying around with an idea of a lift axle... I would obviously need to switch out the under-cab tool box with a fuel tank with steps if I went this route. I'm not a fan of the stock Wedico toolbox/steps anyway. Disregard the Wedico fifth wheel, I just put it there to mock up the design. What do y'all think?

Old 02-06-2022, 09:47 PM
Wannabe

Looking good , but i think you need a longer frame if you use a lift axle. Is it just me or does the cab look a tad bit too tall for the scale of the truck ?
Old 03-27-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpipespete View Post
Looking good , but i think you need a longer frame if you use a lift axle. Is it just me or does the cab look a tad bit too tall for the scale of the truck ?
Yeah, I decided against the lift axle. Glad to see the forum is back up and running!
Old 03-28-2022, 09:39 PM
Wannabe

What happened , at least now i can see how your build turns out.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:15 AM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road

The forum crashed and was offline for one month.

I am also glad to see this build continue, i really like the daycab style on this one.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:11 PM

Well guys, I am back! It has been too long. I have finally had time to get back to working on the truck and given the rear suspension a lot of thought. I tried a few different options and none of the options would give me the reliability/durability that I really wanted from this truck. So it's back to the Wedico spring suspension for now. I hope to revisit the Peterbilt airbag suspension at some point. I have lots of parts on order from Germany, and can't wait for them to get here. Hope to provide some updates (with pictures) soon!
Old 07-23-2023, 06:51 PM

Working on sorting out the electrical system. Not sure why, but the motors only go in reverse. The transmitter is indicating that it is going forward and reverse, but with either selection, the motors go backwards. Also trying to untangle this spaghetti! (don't worry, the fenders/truck are not going to be green, that's just primer)
Old 07-23-2023, 06:55 PM

Also received some goodies in the mail. I've been warned against the dual motor setup, but I wanted to try it anyway. I think it looks cool. If it really doesn't work, I'll go back to the single motor. The drive shafts are the new and improved ones from RC4WD. They'll have to be trimmed to fit correctly.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:11 PM

So I've done all the troubleshooting that I know to do, including adjusting all of the ESC settings. I have heard good things about the Servonaut ESCs so I went ahead and ordered one. I hope that will fix my problem. I am going to continue to try to see if I can get this one to work. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, let me know!
Old 07-24-2023, 07:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Reverse / reverse is weird. What are your motors?
Post #50, i see 3 things that could be motors. They don't look like a normal 540/550 brushed motors. looks like there is something extra, maybe a sensor/encoder thing on the brush hood of one. Some kinda gearmotor looking one with maybe 7 wires in? Then another can which could be fuel tank or a motor?

If you just hook up straight from a battery pack to motor leads, then swap connecting polarity can you make motors run forward / reverse?
Old 07-24-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Reverse / reverse is weird. What are your motors?
Post #50, i see 3 things that could be motors. They don't look like a normal 540/550 brushed motors. looks like there is something extra, maybe a sensor/encoder thing on the brush hood of one. Some kinda gearmotor looking one with maybe 7 wires in? Then another can which could be fuel tank or a motor?

If you just hook up straight from a battery pack to motor leads, then swap connecting polarity can you make motors run forward / reverse?
The motors are brand new 12V Wedico-Buhler Motors and the original Wedico ESC (this is located inside the fuel tank). For testing purposes I used the old motor (in the wiring picture). The extra white wires are for the sound / light system. The motor does the reverse/reverse with them disconnected as well. I did hook up the motor to the battery, and it operates correctly (forward, reverse) which leads me to the bad ESC conclusion.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:02 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

If you haven't already you could try just hooking up the motor no sound wires or lights and see if it works... it almost sounds like it's feeding back thru that stuff....That's a strange one for sure...
Old 07-24-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
If you haven't already you could try just hooking up the motor no sound wires or lights and see if it works... it almost sounds like it's feeding back thru that stuff....That's a strange one for sure...
I did try that. The Wedico system is very complicated so I figured that I would try to isolate the problem by connecting just the motor. Still reverse/reverse.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm having a lot of trouble reading your background in post 50, which schematic is that?
https://www.manualslib.com/brand/wedico/
Or post up a better pic.

If i were correctly reading the wrong diagrams: Esc fuel tank is the top chrome one, Speaker fuel tank is chrome parallel to motor
I can't find any drawings with White wires going to motor? Looks like they come off black thing with white/green wires?

Fully charged 12v battery?

What happens if you *only* hook up Battery, Esc, Rx, Motor?

Now i think i see why people used to like to swap these Wedico electronics for industry-standard parts.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:02 PM

I have attached a better picture of the wiring diagrams.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Seeing a couple areas of concern to double check in your wiring monster:

Between the Diesel noise and Motor, there is black thing with Green(black?) / White in and White/White out. Not seeing on diagrams, verify it has all wires

Sound unit has atleast 2 wires that are unterminated? Green and either Red/brown

Also Motor to Pcb has white pair of wires into a terminal strip

Esc has red/black that needs hooked up to pcb
Old 01-21-2024, 08:18 PM

Well, once again, it has been a while but I'm back at it! Finally got all the electrical problems worked out, and starting to reassemble. I have painted the frame and crossmembers, and also replaced most of the screws with new black ones. I temporarily put it together just for fun.