RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 05-26-2020, 05:41 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default I think I need a bec!

So I got my dozer back up and running, I was running it today and it would run good for a minute or so fine and then it would just stop running and act like the radio in turned off , t
It would keep doing what it was before power drop like just keep running straight, but no radio control! I run a tactic ttx850 and it's got the two escs for the tracks , the esc for the pump, and the three servos, and a fan and lights... ya that is alot. Bec or need radio ?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: I think I need a bec!

Quite a few of my models I have one of these in them, run several escs servos, make sure to program it to put out at least 5V.

https://www.maxamps.com/castle-creat...hoC4BMQAvD_BwE

Joe
Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I am having similar problems with a used RC4WD dozer I picked up recently. Occasionally it will run away for a few seconds on me or not respond from a brown out.
I suspect the BEC is not keeping up or, perhaps receiver or radio.
I'm using a 2nd Gen DX8 and AR8000 I picked up used of flea bay.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:36 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
I am having similar problems with a used RC4WD dozer I picked up recently. Occasionally it will run away for a few seconds on me or not respond from a brown out.
I suspect the BEC is not keeping up or, perhaps receiver or radio.
I'm using a 2nd Gen DX8 and AR8000 I picked up used of flea bay.
Everything else in the model is stock, as in chinese electronics? ...probably BEC. Most ecs only put out 1amp at the most.

The link above, the Castle Creations 10amp BEC is cheap & will probably solve your problems.

Joe
Old 05-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

Definitely not a bad idea to go with a good separate BEC, but I'm curious why you're getting that failure mode. I'd expect it on a nitro car, but not modern electric ESCs. Have you tried forcing / replicating the fault?

I feel safer knowing how my gear behave when it fails, so I confirmed my truck's ESCs (quickrun 1060wp) immediately stop when they stop receiving pulses from the receiver. It's fun to try running the motors while pulling the battery from the transmitter to check failsafe settings and pulling the red supply wire from the receiver and/or pulling the signal wire between ESC and receiver to see what the ESC does.

If the same fault happens when you pull the receiver power wire, you know it's a BEC or connector issue, and if it's different, you probably have a radio issue.

I also see you have 3 ESCs, and if all 3 have internal BECs, there may be room to experiment with having them supply different parts (rx, servo, lights), but a separate 10 amp BEC is probably safer and better.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombii View Post
Definitely not a bad idea to go with a good separate BEC, but I'm curious why you're getting that failure mode. I'd expect it on a nitro car, but not modern electric ESCs. Have you tried forcing / replicating the fault?

I feel safer knowing how my gear behave when it fails, so I confirmed my truck's ESCs (quickrun 1060wp) immediately stop when they stop receiving pulses from the receiver. It's fun to try running the motors while pulling the battery from the transmitter to check failsafe settings and pulling the red supply wire from the receiver and/or pulling the signal wire between ESC and receiver to see what the ESC does.

If the same fault happens when you pull the receiver power wire, you know it's a BEC or connector issue, and if it's different, you probably have a radio issue.

I also see you have 3 ESCs, and if all 3 have internal BECs, there may be room to experiment with having them supply different parts (rx, servo, lights), but a separate 10 amp BEC is probably safer and better.
Well do think it's the bec I unplugged a servo, and the thing ran fine. But if you turn on the lights it drops off so I unplugged the lights and it ran fine, to check that the lights didn't have a fault plugs back in the servo and it fell off again so I check that servo Ina another system and it's fine. So ya I think it's in need of a bec.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Everything else in the model is stock, as in chinese electronics? ...probably BEC. Most ecs only put out 1amp at the most.

The link above, the Castle Creations 10amp BEC is cheap & will probably solve your problems.
Yes Joe all stock. The original owner added a separate BEC to control the lights.
I unhooked the lights for now and used the BEC to power the rx. I'll have to look at it and see what size or make it is.
There are some other issues with the hydraulic valve not responding correctly. Maybe that is part of the culprit because if the servos have some draw on the system ; that may lower the voltage slightly enough to have the two escs run continuously. I keep the pump on a slow idle too. Helps with the response time on the sticks but that runs away too sometimes.