RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:38 AM

Oldpete is on a distinguished road
Default Tamiya King-Globeliner

Hi all!
This is my first thread (with some content) on this forum and i wanna start with my last truck
A used Tamiya Globeliner that ive bougt 3 years ago... to be specific it was a MAN 4x2 chassis with a Globeliner cab glued on that ive paid 150€ Of course it was without electronics exept for a steering servo that doesn't work at all.

This is how it looks like when i've brougt it home... on my old scratch built low loader pulled by my Grand Hauler

I disassembled everything and recovered the parts I needed, cleaning them from paint and repainting where necessary and sold on ebay parts I didn't need
earning some money to buy even some small upgrades.

As I told you the chassis of the Man was restored to be sold and I bought the rails of the king hauler, the center axle and a set of suspension from the same truck

this is the chassis after the restoration before the sale

This is a test with a 3d printed Mack cab which I initially wanted to use but found it to be printed in a different scale as you can see in the pics

I added some metal crossmembers that ive bought on ebay and made some out of aluminium tube.

And swapped the stock plastic suspension arms with some alloy ones

For the driveshaft I used 2 steel driveshaft that I had discarted from a previous build, I cut them to size and welded to create one of the right length. Then I put it on the lathe, roughened, sanded and painted

I bought a brushed combo with 55t motor but the shaft was too long so I decided to create a spacer between the gearbox and motor to make the sprocket work in the correct position. the gearbox (all on bearings) has been cleaned, overhauled and greased with the covers painted in caterpillar yellow

I decided to do a little driving test under load. I used my flatbed trailer which weighs 2.5kg, a tank full of water 22kg, a crate of water 9.4kg and snow chains 6kg

it runs very well! as soon as I can figure out how to do it I'll upload a video
Old 08-21-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Tamiya King-Globeliner

The cabin was a real mess, I trashed the aerodyne roof (by the way out of scale) and sandblasted it.
Under the white paint there were 2 more layers of paint, a blue one and a yellow one

I closed the holes I didn't need with some tamiya putty and applied the primer...

...and made a typical Kenworth k100 paint scheme with Tamiya TS-21Gold and Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White

... and of course a lot of masking tape ...

Old 08-21-2021, 10:57 AM

I also added a tamiya spoiler

A quick test drive with my box trailer: roof lights, mirrors and bumper are brand new, hand rails are from lesu (way cheaper then tamiya ones)

And this is how it looks now

I almost forgot. it has metal fifth wheel, metal fifth wheel hook and metal fifth wheel plate, the stacks instead are made with 8mm polished aluminium tube about 1.5cm longer then the original ones

I plan to add a headache rack and replace the quarter fenders with half fenders by modifying those of the grand hauler. obviously adding a light kit too.

it's not finished yet folks!

Last edited by Oldpete; 08-21-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:05 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Sweet truck.... really looks great....the scratch built lowboy looks pretty darn good too....What scale was the Mack cab.... that Mack is on my wish list when I get the time, money and skill to do it justice.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:25 PM

Thank you Jerry! I think it was around 1:12 but I'm not sure. It doesn't look too bad with 1.9 offroad tyres but I didn't like te off road look.

Last edited by Oldpete; 08-21-2021 at 06:28 PM.