RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:28 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first Tonka Conversion

I have a set of those springs coming.....eventually....
I got a set of that linkage but the drag link comes up at an angle and it hits the frame I can't see a way to make it work and the tie rod on the one they sent me isn't adjustable and it toes the front tires in really bad....that's why I was thinking of making my own just not sure what size "eyes" to get...
Old 02-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road

Jerry:

The Arduinos aren't really that complicated. Some people write REALLY elegant code that can do anything, and it gets complicated. Others, like me, tend to write down and dirty, brute force, does one job, Neanderthal type code and that's actually pretty simple.

I had NEVER done any Arduino programming before, the biggest problem that I had was my Chinese clone Nanos use a different communication chip than the real Nanos use. It took me about a week of evenings to get things up an talking, but Google is your friend, and there is a boat-load of helpful information out there on the Interwebb.

One other thing you might want to think about in the future is using a 3D printer lead-screw and lead-nut instead of your masonary bit. Check out RC Modders,https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_...8HEBJ79GSjpC7g CAT telehandler conversion, he shows how he did it. The 3D printer parts are fairly cheap and are very smooth in operation. I've got a couple of conversions in process that will use a variation of this for the rams. Crueby has a 340 CAT excavator conversion on this forum that also uses these leadscrews, check it out.

If you are a fan of steam, you might want to check out some of the rest of his work over on the Model Engine Maker website. Be ready to spend a while though there's a LOT of pages to go through. His Lombard model took a year or more to build and I think his Marion Shovel took a couple of years.

Don
Old 02-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
I found this one....does everything I was asking...for $50...nice but I'm looking for something a little more cost effective if I can find it...
https://www.killerrc.com/products/ki...-kontroller-v3

This one is a little cheaper and also does everything I wanted it to do...still $40 but seems pretty compact
https://www.mytrickrc.com/shop/uf-7c...ng-controller/
IF you don't need it right NOW, & can wait for a VERY SLOW boat from China, Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297...chweb201603_53

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304...chweb201603_53
Old 02-10-2020, 08:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmckee54 View Post
Jerry:

The Arduinos aren't really that complicated. Some people write REALLY elegant code that can do anything, and it gets complicated. Others, like me, tend to write down and dirty, brute force, does one job, Neanderthal type code and that's actually pretty simple.

I had NEVER done any Arduino programming before, the biggest problem that I had was my Chinese clone Nanos use a different communication chip than the real Nanos use. It took me about a week of evenings to get things up an talking, but Google is your friend, and there is a boat-load of helpful information out there on the Interwebb.

One other thing you might want to think about in the future is using a 3D printer lead-screw and lead-nut instead of your masonary bit. Check out RC Modders,https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_...8HEBJ79GSjpC7g CAT telehandler conversion, he shows how he did it. The 3D printer parts are fairly cheap and are very smooth in operation. I've got a couple of conversions in process that will use a variation of this for the rams. Crueby has a 340 CAT excavator conversion on this forum that also uses these leadscrews, check it out.

If you are a fan of steam, you might want to check out some of the rest of his work over on the Model Engine Maker website. Be ready to spend a while though there's a LOT of pages to go through. His Lombard model took a year or more to build and I think his Marion Shovel took a couple of years.

Don
RC Modders used T8 leadscrew for that conversion. As previously mentioned, they are common parts for 3D printers
Old 02-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Journeyman

I have some 6mm and 8mm lead screw I plan on trying out, it will need a slightly faster motor but with more turns I might not need as much torque..
Like I said in the first post I'm new to this so with each little project in the build I learn a little more.
I think I will give the Arduino nano a try eventually I like the idea and once I get the right code working I can just reuse it, but for now I'm still working out the mechanics of the conversions ...lol...yeah brute force down and dirty....that works...
I saw that tele-handler build...you guys are really talented I'm in awe of some of these builds

Last edited by jerry56; 02-11-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My first conversion.................when I look back at it, although fun & inexpensive, it was a disaster! With each one we do we learn. When I converted a second Bruder tracked loader for a fellow PNWSTE member, I made his a little better than mine. My tracked loader was the 3rd Bruder conversion I ever did. I made a few mistakes on it, & there was room for improvements.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:06 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the dump truck conversion Jerry!
Old 01-21-2022, 04:05 PM
Journeyman

Thanks, It was my first build and I've learned a lot in the last 2 years. As a matter-o-fact I'm in the process of rebuilding it and cleaning it up. I'll get a build thread going here pretty soon.
Your one of the people I have to thank for getting me started.... I also have a couple Nylint Michigan Cranes I want to do....just need refine my skills so to speak before I start them...
Old 01-22-2022, 10:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Thanks for bringing this project back up to the top. It's a cool looking tonka.

I'd missed out on the tip about building the Lift around T8 lead screw. Sounds like an easier path with less parts fabricating.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:41 PM
Journeyman

This time around I'm going to use some screw drives from a Huina 580 these are showing great promise and a T8 lead screw.... I have a t6 to try but it's giving me problems...I also have a 3D printer this time around so I hope to be able to make some aspects of a little neater.