RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 11-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: S&M construction open for bizz nizz!

Would motorcycle tubes work or are they too thin? I have a few in 19" and 21" from my dirt bikes that I was hoping I could use. I guess I have a pile of 10" and 12" tubes from the mini bikes too for short conveyors. My thought with them is that they are very narrow and when cut and turned inside out they might retain some of their curved shape. Hopefully this would create a bit of a trough shape in between the rollers keeping the dirt on? Anyone tried it?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I don't think the thickness of the rubber matters, but the narrow width of a motorcycle tube might make it difficult to get a decent width belt... dunno, try it. The car tubes I sourced had mold lines around the circumference making it easy to hand cut parallel widths... that's the part that I think is probably the most difficult to achieve, if aint cut straight - it aint gonna run straight.

The curvature is somewhat retained, but with a stretch fit, a lot of it is lost. Probably still have to make an angled bearing'd roller to maintain V shape.

Joe
Old 11-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Reg, have you considered serpentine belts from cars? Got any shops near by?
I just changed the one on my S-10, a bit long, still trying to figure out how to splice them.
Cheers, Neil.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I made this 12" conveyor last winter, the belt is a tire tube meant for a small front tire on a garden tractor.

Is that a knurled roller I see on your bench Joe? I was thinking the same thing for more drive traction but without a convex shape does the belt run straight?

I've stayed away from tire tubes till now because, I can't seem to cut a straight line if my life depended on it and a tube limits the length of the conveyor.
But now that you mention mold lines on the tubes makes cutting easier and the length of conveyor I need is based on my worksite layout. Instead of making a conveyor fit the site, I might have to make my site suit the conveyor once built.

the tubes you have hanging on the door, approximately how long of a conveyor can you make with them?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

You should be able to get some large tubes from your work connections hey Mario? I know a lot of the big stuff is tubeless but some must be tube type? One from an off highway log truck would probably make an 8' conveyor!lol That should be big enough! I saved a treadmill from the in-laws recycling. My plan was to use the belt for some RC conveyors but we'll see if that ever happens.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
You should be able to get some large tubes from your work connections hey Mario? I know a lot of the big stuff is tubeless but some must be tube type? One from an off highway log truck would probably make an 8' conveyor!lol That should be big enough! I saved a treadmill from the in-laws recycling. My plan was to use the belt for some RC conveyors but we'll see if that ever happens.
i figured large loader tire tubes would be to thick and heavy and be hard to turn ? Your right though. I should go talk to a guy I know in the heavy equipment tire business, might get lucky.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

I don't know if this is still avaliable, but you could buy the belting from Superior for the Sandmaster. If I remember corectly the price was $35.00 for the belt allready laced. Belt is 4" wide and would be 40" hub to hub. Here's a link to the site to see if it's still avalible.
http://superior-ind.com/company/toys/
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Steamer, I've drooled over one of these for along time. Never thought about buying just the belt.
I tried the site again and can't find any link or info on replacement parts?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Mario, I just called them about it and the salesman referred me to the engineer who designed the unit. Apparently he sells the parts himself and lives in CA. It was him that gave me that price but I never followed it up.
Rob
Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Joe25 is on a distinguished road

http://www.fischertechnik.de/en/desk...2_column_pano/

Belt width works out to 1.14 inches (29mm) can buy multiples (belts alone through their parts page) and connect them for any length, just an idea

Last edited by Joe25; 11-30-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
BANNED

One roller in the background is knurled, but it is only 1 inch wide for a different belting material I tried yrs ago. I don't know yet if matters not to have a convex shape with the rubber belts, the current rollers I made have shoulders & the rubber is stretched quite tight, and the rollers aren't knurled either.

The tubes vary in length from 26" to 46", the thicknesses of the rubber vary too. In the 2nd pic (of previous page), the tube belt on the left is 46" x 2.25" & the conveyor frame will be 58". The one on the right is 36" x 3.25" tube belt & frame will be 48".

Joe
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

I've got a question on belt length and splices, why isn't it good to use a weld/glue splice? I've welded rubber liners for ponds before. It's glue but called weld. Holds up very well. But I don't know about repetitive bending around a roller. I've also sanded rubber or to shave some down to smooth a seam out. Like on some conveyors they are seamed on a 45 degree with direction on belt. Just my curiosity as I'm still having my list of projects to use a screening project with a conveyor. This is all good info for my gathering of ideas. This local roofing company has rubber up to 40' width. I've seen his roller, it has cutters on it to cut straight lengths and roller cutter for any width with accuracy. That would do you guys some crazy straight lines . But ,,, it's new and I've got to pay for new .
Old 12-03-2014, 02:59 AM
BANNED

In the past I tried a very thin vinyl tarp material to make a belt and with many different types of glues I tried, eventually the splice came apart.

The tire tubes: it's an endless loop with no splice; can stretch to fit - so need for adjustable slide rollers to keep the belt tight... simple! no need to overthink or overbuild.

Joe
Old 12-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
One roller in the background is knurled, but it is only 1 inch wide for a different belting material I tried yrs ago. I don't know yet if matters not to have a convex shape with the rubber belts, the current rollers I made have shoulders & the rubber is stretched quite tight, and the rollers aren't knurled either.

The tubes vary in length from 26" to 46", the thicknesses of the rubber vary too. In the 2nd pic (of previous page), the tube belt on the left is 46" x 2.25" & the conveyor frame will be 58". The one on the right is 36" x 3.25" tube belt & frame will be 48".
Thanks Joe, that's great to hear. conveyors of that length should work perfect.
I want to set up my backyard in such a way that allows me to either just stock pile material the dump truck off loads from the pit or move the conveyor directly over the screener and process the dirt one dump truck load at a time.
The second conveyor will be under the screener and move the clean material into a hopper which I can then use my 3 axle dump trailer to load and use around the yard.
All controlled from a 4ch radio. 2 conveyors , the screener and a servo for the hopper chute.
I thought about a crusher but I just don't have that type of material to deal with. No rocks or chunks so a mini crusher is on the B list right now.

I tried cutting a few different types of splice into the rubber I have. diagonal, arrow, saw tooth, and your right. It's very difficult to keep it straight and no matter what, it won't survive long.
Tire tubes it is like the old saying, KISS
Old 12-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Good to know for future plans. thanks . Hey Mario, reading on last page I see a post about slop in the swing bearing. When I had mine apart the set screw on the pinion was loose. The shaft and pinion are on a d shaft so pinion will not slip but with that set screw loose it did give a bit more slop. The gear reduction has some to start with so that loose pinion just gave more. Pretty easy to get to also. The main gear and everything in the swing bearing housing was good so you don't have to take any of that apart. And unless motor is loose from gear head nothing inside to "tighten up" just end up trying to figure out how the gears go mack in after they fall out when you open it!!!

Man that is great, having all that on remote control!! Keep the pics coming on your progress of the conveyors too!!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Coop. I have a few more " honey do list " things to finish and I'm free and clear to get back in Rc building mode.
I'll keep ya's posted on progress for sure.

I didn't explain the swing bearing issue correctly. It's not a gear backlash or left to right slop. It's a front to back thing. Seems like more swing bearing deflection or upper structure movement than before. May be caused by all the root ripping and abuse from slamming down
Just wondering how Yours has held up?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It's been good, bent the bucket a bit. I bind the tracks a lot, usually allowing too much dirt to get piled up alongside tracks (kinda my fault). Only issue really was the pivot shafts on stick/boom and stick cylinder would always come loose. The design of screws opposing on each side I don't like. Over all I was very happy to have a hoe . By the time I'm done with the mods I probably could have got a fumotec ex but I always have to fix stuff that isn't broken . And I need a reason to log hours in the man cave during winter hibernation.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Picked up the crucial part of the conveyor build today

By the looks of this bad boy I can build a conveyor to reach the neighbours yard!

Once I get it cut....the build can begin!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Will you be able to make two? Innie and an outtie?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

How are u going to cut it . How about inflating it and marking it out . Just a thought . Mike