RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Odds and Ends. > Die-Cast Conversions Tech.

Die-Cast Conversions Tech. The tricks of installing drive line and electrical components into die-cast models.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default 1/16 Oliver Dozer Conversion

I thought I would start a new thread for my Oliver Dozer Conversion.

I took it out to the Pike Steam show, but it was basically a NO SHOW for the poor little thing. I had a problem with the blade control servo and the Pololu gear motors. So, I was about to start a dozer from scratch but decided to give the Oliver one more shot. I had a HiTec 225 servo on the bench and decided to see if I could make two of them work driving direct. If had to chop off more of the undercarriage and make a new set of brackets for the new servo motors.

I also decided to gut the servos so they are not really servos now, I took out the pot and use a ESC for each servo. I have not had much luck yet with converting servos without having them creep, so this method eliminates that problem.

There are other build photos in my original post that started out as a 1:50 dozer conversion.

Here is the first dirt bench test video! I either need a lower speed and higher torque servo, and or I need to tune the TX a bit more so I have smoother and slower control. If I slow down the end points much more then I don't get enough power. Stay tuned as I play with it some more.

http://youtu.be/GSbPNjdWb1U

Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Craftsman

Default Ideas Wanted for Grousers

Two questions/problems. How to secure the pins in the "chain". For that I thought o would try to crush one end of the pin to it just gets snug when pushed into the hole. Other thoughts here are welcome. I am not sure how I'm going to deform the end of the pin? They are pretty hard piano wire and I cut them with a dremel tool so they came out fairly clean.

Second issue I have had from day one. When dirt collects between the pads they don't want to lay flat. I am tempted to cut off or shorten the pads on the front and trailing edges, but this may change the look significantly.

In the picture the pads are pretty clean, I just finished cleaning between the pads with a tool.

Here is the other side still on the machine and NOT cleaned up. You can see how the dirt between each pad causes it to push away from laying flat. This can get so bad that the machine rides on a high spot and rocks fore and aft on the high point.

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 08-21-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/16 Oliver Dozer Conversion

I was told to have 1.5-2mm spacing on track shoes. Originally I had them rather tight. They too sprang up bad. Re-milled every shoe to get 1.5mm spacing and it significantly reduced. Sometimes in mud or when I don't clean the shoes from the day before and dirt hardens they spring up but for the90% of time they lay flat. Keep in mind I'm fairly new to tracked machines.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Craftsman

Cooper, is that on a machine about the same scale as mine 1:16?

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Craftsman

Here are two pictures of the current frame mod to accept the hitec 225MG servos. The angle parts are attached to the casting on the sides and the small brackets capture the servos. Working on a new set of brackets to go up to the 645MG servos. At this point the frame width is too narrow, not sure how I'm going to get the full sized servos in there?

Jim
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM

1/50diecast is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my dozer with the tracks clogging up. It is also stretching the tracks apart, and pins are starting to get loose. Im thinking of using M0.6 screws and nut to hold my tracks together. Here is a link to get the screws; http://metricscrews.us i have used them before and had no problems.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:12 PM

1/50diecast is on a distinguished road

I have also considered cutting my tracks where i blacked out the tracks, just leaving a lip on both sides for supporting the tracks from flexing to much. I hate them track kinks!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Craftsman

I know you guys are probably saying this thread is like "The Boy Who Cried Dozer".

I refit the dozer AGAIN this time with full sized HiTec 645MG servos. They should be much more reliable and the lower RPM and higher torque from previous mini servos make the control MUCH better.

I still need to figure out how to keep the track pins from wandering out. And I may have to come up with an adjustable servo tray so I can adjust the track tension. So far it seems to work great!

http://youtu.be/D-q3auNlvLo

Jim
Old 09-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Craftsman

Default New dirt moving video with sound effects...

Wish this was easier to edit the sound properly...

http://youtu.be/GY0mmotp8lU

Jim
Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Nice Jim, it looks works and sounds great!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Jim-for some reason I missed this build thread. What happened to the pictures?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Craftsman

I finally got around to creating a new dozer video with sound.

It had been a while since if had run the dozer and I think I should have NOT been using a 3S lipo, it made it faster than I remember and harder to operate. I think I probably smoked the RX. I Fahd forgotten that I eliminated the ESC...

http://youtu.be/B4jSvXfoKXg

Jim
Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Craftsman

Default Dozer Refit

Well, I'm on a mission from God to try and do a motor refit on the little Oliver dozer in time for Brownsville. Just got started on it yesterday so that gives me about 10 days or so to work on it.

I had been running this with servos, but thought I could do better now that I have a better selection of machine tools to work with.

Going to use these two gear motors and a esc. Really hacking up the rear end of the poor thing so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Craftsman

Got the new undercarriage all assembled. Now I need to figure out how to attach the hood and operator/seat. Then, how to store and retain the lipo, RX and motor controller. If all goes well, this might be moving today. oh, ya, still need to mount the blade lift servo.

Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Craftsman

Help with motor controller...

I used one of these 2x5 RC controllers in my crane and had trouble figuring out how to use the bec. I finally gave up and used a separate battery for the RX and servos, while using the 2x5 for the drive motors. I clipped the red wires from each RX connector on the 2x5. I had all sorts of space so the extra battery wasn't a problem.

The dozer is a different story, not so much extra room under the hood, what with the giant horsepower I got in there now!

So, is this just supposed to plug into the RX and provide power to the RX thru one or both of the motor control wires?

They don't really describe too well how it is supposed to work. I don't remember exactly what it was doing on the crane, but I got tired of messing with it and gave up.

I am waiting on a reply from dimension...

Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Craftsman

Short video of the first test run of the new drive train on the Oliver dozer! I was trying to holde the batteries out of the way and film at the same time, so I didn't get a good shot of the travel clip.

http://youtu.be/dAYsd7rUWPo

Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Journeyman

FabOne is on a distinguished road

GREAT job Jim! Keep us updated.

-Terry
Old 07-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

The BEC comes from the wires you plug into your RX to Sabertooth. When the main battery powers up the Sabertooth the leads have regulated 5VDC for the servos or RX.
I'm not looking at a wiring diagram but that is basically how it works.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Nice job Jim! Looks like you have all kinds of power, now hopefully there is enough weight to put on the ground.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Craftsman

I got a reply back from the help desk of the motor controller. My gut reaction tells me that it doesn't really put out the amps to the RX like they claim. But, it also doesn't seem to like the hitec 645 mg servo. I plugged in an old Futaba servo and it seems to work, if it will lift the blade like the hitec is another story yet to be determined.

I had exactly the same trouble with my dragline using the same controller and same servos. I solved it on the dragline by using a separate battery and power supply for the RX and rope servos.

I spent most of the afternoon figuring that out. By the way, according to the specs for the hitec servo, it SHOULD work with the 2x5 motor controller so somebody doesn't know there own product. Very frustrating afternoon.

Arg...