RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road
Default King Hauler Rebuild, Stage 1

So after a year it was time to start some of the upgrades I have been wanting to do. Since it is winter, sounded like a good time to get it started.

As she sat on Saturday:

I decided the rebuild would be best done in two stages, so stage 1 will be the frame upgrade. I plan on keeping the color scheme, but am contemplating using a different paint this time. Going to install a new front bumper mount to pull the bumper back, new fuel tanks and brackets, an hopefully new steps. I also plan on replacing the servo mounts, rear axle cross member and maybe the rear bumper mount with metal ones from LESU. Most likely new drive shafts and I would really like to find a new rear bumper. Cleaning up the wiring, adding deck plates and a APU are also on the schedule. OH, and a new 45 or 55 turn motor. I think that's it.

I tore the truck apart and then completely disassembled the frame.

Next up will be taking apart the axles, steering, steps and tank and then stripping paint.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 AM
Green Horn

GlobelinerBrad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: King Hauler Rebuild, Stage 1

I think it looks pretty tight the way it is!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's all Rod's fault!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 AM
Wannabe

Roundabout is on a distinguished road

From what you're starting with it's gonna be good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Why a different paint. What did you not like before?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobelinerBrad View Post
I think it looks pretty tight the way it is!
Thanks. These are upgrades I had planned to make from the start, just thought I would spread them out a bit so I could enjoy time running it and not get burned out building it. The changes in this stage won't change the look of the truck to much, just upgrading parts.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
From what you're starting with it's gonna be good
Hopefully, I have my ultimate goal in my head where there is plenty of room for it to reside.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Why a different paint. What did you not like before?
Well the paint job looks good in pictures. I used Krylon on it because I thought it would make a tougher finish that could be handled better. Its not bad, but it is a spray can finish, although I think I could do better with the can. The problem became with the clear, for some reason it seems it didn't fully cure. About a month after painting it I took it to a show, carried it by the frame between the cab and axle and left a huge dull spot where I was holding it. That spot was actually in the clear, because I could not wash or wax it out. Even when I took it apart, I was leaving hand prints all over it. But the body seemed to come out fine, so I don't know what happened with the frame because it was the same can of clear.

So I've been considering using the Createx line and applying it with my airbrush. Would get a better finish, but would still be back to having to use a can for the clear. I think by looking at their stuff, I could get fairly close to the Krylon blue. We will see, I have some scrap metal I'm going to practice on with the Krylon first, to see if I can improve.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to read the cans, kyrlon is some funny stuff you cant clear
some colors?? my gloss black fenders krinkled but the hood didn't
after hitting with clear
Old 02-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hello UP1980 I have a solution to your paint problems. Go to your Favorite auto paint store and pick out a color that you like and buy a 1/2 pint of it. Then have them put it in spray cans( Bug Bombs ) for you. This could be done with the clear also and you can get them to pick out comparable product so you don't have any problems after you finish the job. It may be a little expensive but you don't have to but a bunch of equipment. Ed
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hello UP19018I have a solution to your paint problems. Go to your Favorite auto paint store and pick out a color that you like and buy a 1/2 pint of it. Then have them put it in spray cans( Bug Bombs ) for you. This could be done with the clear also and you can get them to pick out comparable product so you don't have any problems after you finish the job. It may be a little expensive but you don't have to but a bunch of equipment. Ed
Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
you need to read the cans, kyrlon is some funny stuff you cant clear
some colors?? my gloss black fenders krinkled but the hood didn't
after hitting with clear
I will double check the can. It was Krylon clear on Krylon paint, but who knows.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Hello UP1980 I have a solution to your paint problems. Go to your Favorite auto paint store and pick out a color that you like and buy a 1/2 pint of it. Then have them put it in spray cans( Bug Bombs ) for you. This could be done with the clear also and you can get them to pick out comparable product so you don't have any problems after you finish the job. It may be a little expensive but you don't have to but a bunch of equipment. Ed
Good idea, but our local store isn't that great at paint. Might check some of the bigger cities to see.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

automotive paint from automotive parts stores is a good durable paint..you have to watch some paints are not compatible and some of the clear made by the same company could have been mixed bad at the factory or it could have been frozen at one point and thawed which would explain why it did not fully cure since it could have been loaded with water .i use Tamiya Paint and primer on most of my trucks ..they have some funky cool colours...i also let 24 hrs dry time between coats ,not to step on anybody and their advice with automotive paint because it is very good paint to use but be careful..try to stick to reputible places to get it mixed ..a friend of mine got that done once and whatever they put ion the paint ..it damaged the plastic body of his model ...they put something in the paint to adhere to metal which reacted with his plastic body ruined it ..sorry to be long winded ,whatever you do it will be great ..looking forward to it
Old 02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Wannabe

Truthfully I will not be using automotive paint. I lack the equipment and know-how to use that stuff; and have no intention of paying someone else to do it for me. I may just go back to the Krylon. I like the color, and the cab came out just fine. May have simply been too humid (or other factor) the day I cleared the frame causing it not to cure. I also like the Tamiya paint, some good stuff and they do have some great colors. But we will see, not going to hurry it until I am confident I can get the finish I want.

The entire frame, sans the tranny and axles are back into kit form. Paint is 95% stripped and I'm down to cleaning out the small areas. Still need to find the main drive cross member I'm looking for. Russ just came out with a new rear bumper that is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm also experimenting with coming up with a better looking set of axle housings that can be 3d printed. So far they aren't coming out too bad.

I also got distracted by a rig I saw on YouTube that really sparked my interest; and may be the way I choose to go with this truck.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Still apart?
Old 12-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Wannabe

Yes it is, but it is off the shelf now. Things have finally cleared up for me and it looks like i'm going to be getting back to work on the truck. Plus I have acquired more painting equipment so I can do a better job. Few things to order to get going, probably get started on it right after Christmas.

Thank you for asking,
Chris
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Wannabe

MOVEMENT! I decided not to reuse my SemiJoe's frame rails and instead attempt to drill my own, so I now have a set of TrueScale rails. I have taped in my cross members but haven't drilled yet, I'm debating sticking with my original 28" rail length or shortening to 26". I also want to add longer fuel tanks and one of Russ' fancy tank mounts, so that may move my center cross member. So I will be ordering those components soon.

I decided to use Createx brand water born paints with a 2K clear. I have to do the clear after it warms up, so that probably will be mid April at the earliest. So my goal is to have a rolling frame by the end of February, with the body work done by the end of March so I can paint and be ready for warm weather. See how that goes.

Chris
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 AM

scottyk is on a distinguished road

My favorite clear is from Oreilys actually, only 1 of our 3 local oreilys here carries it but its Nason brand automotive paint which is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Dupont and other name brand names. I still use aerosol for small parts and stuff but when its time to paint a body you cant beat real automotive paint and clear. I use a small detail HVLP gun to paint the RC stuff and it works amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Sharpe-.../dp/B00QUX1PAK
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Wannabe

I'm actually going to use SprayMax 2K Aerosol Gloss Clear, it is a true 2 part in an aerosol can and works great with any of the Createx lines. It will (should) provide that deeper shine than i had before using the Krylon stuff.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Wannabe

Quick update, no pictures but I am working on it. I did get the truck back to a roller state, but no steps or fuel tanks yet.

I replaced the front suspension with a TrueScale air ride kit (really nice). Plastic servo mounts were replaced with LESU alum. ones. Plastic rear suspension crossmember replaced with a LESU alum. one. Also replaced the stock rear suspension arms with LESU alum. ones.

Tore the transmission housing apart, better grease on the gears than the Tamiya stuff. (Using Lucas Oil Red "N" Tacky on everything.) Replaced the motor with a 55turn RC4WD motor. New transmission housing. Believe it or not, I left a thumb print in the old one painted with Krylon nearly 3 years ago. Don't know what went wrong, but it NEVER fully cured.

Decided to lock up one rear end. Problem arose when I found out I painted the hardware so it wouldn't come apart. So I ended up a week behind and ordered new housings and new hardware. Cut the old screws to seperate the housing and locked the center axle. Everything greased with the Lucas.

Now taking it back apart and priming the parts. Using Duplicolor Primer this time and it is already much better than the Krylon was. Plan on ordering fuel tank mounts this weekend, so I can drill the frame for those.

Getting there,
Chris